Adventures matatu style......


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are finally here!!! We had a great flights, and did loose any baggage and actually slept for a little bit!
Our second flight from Zurich to Niarobi was pretty much empty so we got to take up a full row of 4 seats each and slept laying down. It was the best sleep we have ever had on a flight before!
We are in a place called Ngong Hills which is about 45minutes outside of Niarobi and it is all rolling hills, it is very beautiful.
We haven't been doing too much, just getting settled. Although we did take our first trip into the city yesterday via matatu. If you want to know what a matatu is just remember the Malibu Rum Commercial where they joke about being in a traffic jam and the man says "hurry my fish is dying". While we were on one yesterday we realized that is exactly what it looked like. They are pretty much large vans that should only 15 but they squeeze in more than that and they drive at crazy speeds on roads that would be considered some of the worst in Canada. So it is definitely a more than entertaining way to travel, and HOT!
We bought a cell phone here so if anyone needs to get a hold of us the number is 0712 013 266 . It is cheaper for us to text so that is probably what we will do the most.
Niarobi is like Toronto but way crazier and it probably doesn't help being white seeing it seems to draw alot of attention. People a sooo nice here, I probably feel more comfortable here then I have in some areas of Canada.
Our trip home after registering at the embassy was very interesting. When we finally got to the main bus port we got on our large sized bus/matatu and waited. But the thing about these bus ports is that there is probably 100 buses and they all try to leave at the EXACT same time and no one wants to wait for anyone else. This resulted in our bus running into a huge light pole after which a police man made everyone get off the bus so it could go to the police station. So we had to scramble to find another bus which was fine, but 5 minutes later the same police man came on and made everyone get off this one too!!! haha everyone was getting made but he said that if they wanted to complain they could come down to the station as well.
So we finally found yet another bus, but this time katie and I boarded and then it saw another police man so it started to drive away before lisa (our kenya friend) could get on. Katie and I started to panic trying to get off but they kept saying it was okay, our friend was coming, but we couldn't see her! Finally they slowed down and we saw her running and she finally caught up and we were okay!
SO that has been our adventure so far.
I my self have not experienced the toilet Katie refers to as a 'pit latrine' which is the hole in the ground, but the half toilets have been challenging enough!
Today we leave for Mary's house who runs living positive. This is where we will be working on a preschool/daycare that was damaged during the after election violence so we are very excited to get working.
I am sure we will have lots to write about in 2 weeks when we return.
We love all of you!!! Hope the weather has gottan better there because it is beautiful here!!!



Advertisement



11th May 2008

you've been on a minibus!!
so glad to hear you are safe! sorry for the pre-departure mix up with the phone call, but sending you lots of love and looking forward to reading all your stories. it's sounds like your matatu is a guyanese minibus!! here they cram in way too many people, drive crazy speeds AND have the music blasting so loud your bones vibrate when you get out... be careful with the toilets! sounds like you're on the start for an amazing experience. have fun. stay safe. love you both xoxo
16th May 2008

May 15
Dearest Katie G... I miss you more than going a whole month without chocolate or icecream... and you KNOW how much that is!!! I'm glad you had an amazing trip there... I cant wait to hear how everything else is going! Love you!!!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb