The Final Day to Nairobi – Day 77


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 29th 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Final destinationFinal destinationFinal destination

Arrival! OFTAT team shot
It rained lat night, just as we finished our supper. What a shame, as we had to scurry off to bed. But it didn’t last too long and we slept well.

On schedule, we were off for the final day’s drive, firstly retracing our tracks to the Mt Ololokwe turn off and then south on the main road towards Isiolo - where the tarmac started. We have driven over some pretty frightful roads in both Sudan and Ethiopia but Kenya’s roads have been by far the worst. And this last leg, only some 30 miles or so, was almost the last straw. It was frightful and when we finally and thankfully hit the asphalt there was an audible sigh of relief from all 3 cars.

We stopped to sort things out, in my case rearranging the batteries as best I could to stop them moving all over the place. Ian pumped up tyres and Jeremy had a general check around. But from then on it was plain sailing, climbing initially up the shoulder of Mt Kenya, wrapped in clouds unfortunately, to about 8,000 ft before the long descent towards Nairobi.

We stopped at Nanyuki airport were we had an excellent snack lunch at the airport restaurant, eating burgers and chips, and at least one all-day breakfast! Great to eat potatoes again - and bacon! We hadn’t realised how much we had missed these sorts of things.

The road got better as we approached Nairobi, the last 15 miles or so on a dual carriageway which had just been refurbished and was great. Into one of the shopping centres on the outskirts for provisions before running the last 18 miles to Limuru and Chris and Ian’s home. We were expected and the welcome we received was warming indeed. We took a final OFTAT group photo to mark the completion of our adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb