Amazing days in Kenya


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 10th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rafiki Caring Home, IbenchoRafiki Caring Home, IbenchoRafiki Caring Home, Ibencho

Meghan, Todd, Mark, lots of kids and community members.
It's been an amazing week in Kenya, starting in Nairobi, then taking a tour across the country to Nakuru, through Kericho, Kisii, Narok and two nights in the Masai Mara.
On the 5th, we met Joash, brother of Mark Omare, head of the Rafiki Caring Home, and Alex, our driver who took us on a hair-raising three day drive across Kenya.
I could write an entire paragraph on Kenya Roads--or what little road there is in between the potholes--but let me assure you, they are bone-jaring to say the least.
It seems like every time we headed out somewhere, someone would make a comment on the road situation, but I don't think we were ever on a "good" road.
We visited the Rafiki Caring Home in Nakuru, an orphanage/school with about 10 orphans and 85 kids--mostly under 8 years. They sang us songs and danced. Joash heads the school with his wife, who is the teacher. They have three classrooms, with only about 8 little chairs. They could use another 70 at minimum, but chairs are a luxury when you are struggling to feed the kids.
We stayed overnight in Nakuru and drove for about 4 hours to Kisii the next day. The second Rafiki Caring Home is located in an area called Ibencho, an agricultural area in Western Kenya. The closest town to Ibencho is Kisii and while they said Ibencho was only 20 or 30 minutes further, they didn't mention it was four-wheeling it--but then again that's pretty much what it's been like every time we've been in the car.
When we visited the Ibencho Center, we met Mark's parents, the teachers and the heads of the schools. We dropped left the extra bag we packed of donations and ironically, the shoes I had sent more than 6 months ago arrived just days eariler so I got to see about 50 kids get new sandals.
We also bought the center rice, bread, juice and on the way back to Kisii picked up medication for about eight of the kids--most of which had pretty severe cases of ringworm. The ringworm medication cost about $2 a piece and is pretty effective but they couldn't afford to buy it before.
After that, we travel to Narok, where we picked up the safari to Masai Mara. It was a bit more rustic than we expected but we saw the "big five" of the animals in the game park.

I was really hoping to be able to document every leg of this trip with photos and all but internet access has been few and far between in most places except Nairobi. Though I have to say that I am amazed at the number of small towns that barely have more than four buildings standing that say they have an internet station. We last logged on at a Total station in Kisii.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb