Lazy Sunday in Nairobi


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
April 22nd 2007
Published: April 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

ok.. i tried to take a walk around the block my hotel was in last night after dinner.. didn't feel too comfortable.. yes, there are street lights.. but all shops are closed.. and not many people walking on the streets.. some clusters of people idling at certain corners. .and there is this group of street prostitutes at the end of the road.. most of their eyes were on me.. walked towards the end of the road.. a few of the girls made a intercepting vector towards my path.. i quickend my pace.. so did they.. and i turned around, and they ran up and caught my arm.. and started calling 'baby.. baby.. where you go?'.. hair-raising experience.. shook them off and semi-ran back to my hotel.. nearly one point for melvin and tenglip.. haah.. so.. no.. maybe not very safe.. so... don't you have some pants to wash? oh yah! those will probably take a few hours! guess i'll have no time to walk around town at night then! have to do laundry!

Sunday is a lazy quiet day in the city centre.. not much traffic (both human and car) on the roads... and shops are mostly closed.. so i took a matatu to the Westlands.. an affluent suburbs where young execs live.. they have a big mall there, Sarit Centre.. it was good actually.. with supermarket, dvd store, bookstores, cafe, and cinema.. i can spend a whole day at the book shop.. oh, saw the poster for pirates of caribbean 3.. wow! fatt-gor is starring in it too.. coming in May.. man.. guess i will miss it.. unless i watch it in dubai..

read some details on the LP Kenya guide in the bookstore... free browsing.. was thinking of whether of buying Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari.. i read the first few chapters of it 2 years ago.. and now i'm sort of living his journey from Cairo to Cape.. picked it up and read his writings on Ethiopia.. it's weird.. before i came here, i read it with much wonders.. but now i've been thru it.. the reading feels more mundane now.. but it's still interesting to see it from another person's perspective.. and how the travelling is different years ago.. i'm still thinking of whether to buy it or not tho.. it's about USD12.. so can fill up my time after i'm done with The Last King of Scotland when i stone at the indian ocean at Lamu..

oh! I've decided not to go Uganda now.. haha.. well, last week they had a riot against Asians.. 3 Asians were killed by the mobs.. so it was uncertain for me for a bit.. checked it out a bit more today.. and realized that in Africa.. Asians basically mean Indians.. We yellowskin people are Chinese, Japanese and Koreans.. and not 'classified' as Asians.. so yes.. they just killed 3 Asians there, but it's safe for Chinese, Japanese and Koreans..

the real reason i've decided not to go Uganda now is that.. suddenly, i'm not so big on the gorillas now.. USD300 for the permit to see the gorilla.. and you need to book 3-6 months in advance to guarantee a permit.. otherwise you just show up everyday and hope somebody cancels and you get his/her spot.. so may not be that productive for me.. and there Lake Victoria.. where you can do rafting.. well, i can do rafting as well at the gorge at victoria falls.. i remember reading the map of the gorge in one of the geography sessions in secondary school.. i remember being awed by the gorge then.. so maybe uganda does not hold as much for me now.. further more, the ugandan visa i got at singapore expired on 11 April.. so i am a week late.. and it'll cost me another USD 30 to get the visa.. maybe i'll do another trip just on uganda next time and with more planning for the gorillas.. and maybe at least one of you will join me.. so, maybe next time, Uganda!

So! I think i've decided to check out Mombasa and region on the coast of Kenya.. and then travel up north to Malindi, where you can lots of italians holidaying there and eat lots of spaghetti.. well, i've never been to italy before, so maybe this can give me a glimpse.. haha.. i will be spending most of my time in Lamu i guess.. a small island 8hours north of malindi where there is only one car.. see the old swahili architecture and way of life.. saw some photos on travelblog today.. nice blue waters.. some call it paradise.. all said they'll return.. so seems like it's worth it.. maybe will jsut laze around there for a bit.. in my hammock.. cheap accomodation.. supposedly relaxing, friendly and safe atmosphere.. safe sounds good.. if i get tired of lazing around at the beach (??????) .. maybe i'll check out some of the other lesser travelled areas in the region.. dunno where.. haev to read the guide more to find out.. so that's the plan now until 05 May, when i fly to Dubai.. fly back to nairobi on the 12th.. and get on the overland truck tour on the 13th.. which ends on 23rd June.. and maybe fly back 24th or 26th.. around there.. with the 1-week training in dubai.. i 'm hoping to delay my start date with my new company by a week.. so i can spend more time in singapoer with my family and friends before i go over.. this is not like the shanghai positing, where i can fly back every 2 months.. so.. maybe just once a year.. (sob sob)..



Advertisement



22nd April 2007

Wah...
Sounds like you got everything man! Travel of your dreams, nice (high-paying) and stable job, encounters with African tribeswomen who exposes 3/4 of their breasts... Don't complain!!!
23rd April 2007

dun anyhow talk talk..
where got high paying job? no lah.. i actualy got lower pay compared to others cos i no prior experience.. and it's covered 3/4 exposed 1/4... not the other way round.. sorry to reduce your fantasies by 66.6% ;p but.. this is a big journey of my life.. would be better if there's somebody to accompany tho.. =)
14th May 2007

nice to know you
Hi johan , iam indo chinese living in sydney, I do travel alot too. nice reading you travel diaries. I have been to the places you going right now. enjoy your jorney and take care. eric

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb