More news from the Browns


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Eastern Province » Maua
April 22nd 2008
Published: April 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

BirthdaysBirthdaysBirthdays

Here are the 2 birthday folks.
What a full weekend we had! On Saturday, Tony’s birthday, we had the chance of seeing 2 Jackson’s Chameleons in a tree! They are for sure the most photographed chameleons of Maua, as Tony took many pictures!😊 We think it was a male and female, and we think the female was pregnant because she was much larger than the male. They were so cool! After this, we had the duel birthday party for Tony and Katherine, the German IT missionary at the hospital. It was so much fun, and we ended with a very lively game of Guesstures (my team won!). Such good food… Claudia (another German missionary who is an occupational therapist) was a baker in her former life in Germany. She made a wonderful Black Cherry Chocolate cake! Tony said it was a very memorable birthday. Sunday, after church, we went on a hike with the 3 German girls around Maua into the hills. It was very beautiful.

On Monday, I was able to go along with Jane, the nurse from the UK, to do the palliative clinic, about a 20 minute drive from the hospital. I got to observe what all is done for the HIV +
GuessturesGuessturesGuesstures

Mr. Sarson playing guesstures. I don't remember what he was enacting... :)
patients in the community. It was very interesting: the nurses are given so much power! They even prescribed meds for patients, and said they are trained as midwives, etc. Yesterday Tony went around with the chaplain, and today he left with the youth director for the synod. He is still away, and he should be back around 5 pm today. I went again with Jane into the community, and was able to go into some houses. I actually helped carry a man from the hospital van into the house because he is unable to walk. It's a good thing I am strong! 😊 Tomorrow it's back to work in the hospital.

I will pass along all of the Birthday wishes to Tony. Thanks to all of you for your encouraging messages and comments. We miss you too!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Angry chameleonAngry chameleon
Angry chameleon

We think this one is the male of the 2 Jackson chameleons.
The coupleThe couple
The couple

What a cool pic! Tony took this one.
FriendsFriends
Friends

I became friends w/ Mr. Chameleon:)
Walking around MauaWalking around Maua
Walking around Maua

Here is Tony walking around "malaria lake", as Mr. Sarson calls it:).
Much waterMuch water
Much water

It's certainly the rainy season here! We heard a very loud thunder crash the other night, and think lightening struck very close to us. Here is the evidence of heavy rains.
Malaria LakeMalaria Lake
Malaria Lake

Us around Maua.
OverlookOverlook
Overlook

This is truly a beautiful area!
ChildrenChildren
Children

Some kids in their home which we passed on our walk. They wanted us to take their picture.
Hungry cowHungry cow
Hungry cow

I had to get a pic of the grazing cow which we passed on our walk.


22nd April 2008

Everytime I check my email and see
that there is a travel blog addition, I'm so excited because I know that there will be wonderful pictures and updates on your adventures! Happy birthday Tony! Starla, I'm sure all your nursing experience there will really shine on your resume when it comes times to get a job in TN. Keep the updates coming....we love them all!
23rd April 2008

Happy Birthday Tony
Tell him we wish him a happy birthday too! It looks like you had a cool weekend. I love the pics! The girls and I have been praying for you and have you and Tony's pic on our fridge. Love and miss you!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb