Sunday in Mombasa


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
September 16th 2018
Published: September 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I woke up this morning feeling refreshed, nothing like staying at a beach hotel for a little respite. I had hoped to walk along the beach this morning; however the tide was in and there was practically no beach. We all met for breakfast and then headed to a part of town that had a type of ”assembly line”. There was a finished products area with jewelry, sculptures and African handmade items, if one ventured outside of the shopping area, there was a village of shanties and within each structure was a laborer carving or staining or chopping an item - a manufacturing hub - African style.

Once we did a little shopping, we stopped at a local restaurant for Teresa Gingles’ comfort food which equals cheeseburger! Seriously. The restaurant had great shakes, burgers and an awesome feta, spinach pie too. We were killing time in hopes the drilling would begin and we would go back to the site; that would not be the case so .... beach day for us. We headed back to the ocean, and some went swimming and kayaking. Sonja, who heads up the marketing and public relations for WHOLives, accompanied yours truly for a beach hike and boy did we have an adventure... we made new friends - like Jamal, a four-footed, beast with the most gawd-awful bellow when lifting us onto his humped back. I questioned whether we were really that heavy or Jamal had had enough of carrying foreigners down the beach. We also met Martha and for two bucks I had a great shoulder massage!

Back at the hotel, I was preparing to meet the others for dinner when I made an amusing discovery... my “authentic” African headdress that I had bought earlier on the trip was made in .... wait for it.... China!

And so it goes. #younglivinglove #WHOlives #beachstories


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb