One In A Million


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
September 10th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ONE IN A MILLION
During the school holiday Cynthia and Ophilia (two of the older students) took a trip with me to a near by city. Living such a sheltered life in the village of Apebouso, stop lights and two story buildings are new and exciting sights for them. So sheltered, Ophilia (15yrs old) is one student who thought animals attend the same doctors and hospitals as people do. During our trip around the city the girls enjoyed all of the sights and sounds a city has to offer. As we drove through town, both were gazing upon the large sports stadium with its high walls and huge raised lights. At the same time they both turned their heads to look in the opposite direction and said with obvious surprise, “There’s Mary!”

Who is Mary? Mary is Cynthia’s younger sister who was sent to work and school in the city at the end of 2006. I honestly thought the girls were joking with me and told them so. They insisted that it was in fact Mary they were seeing. After finding a place to park the car, Ophilia says, “Let’s walk past and see if she recognizes us”. I could go no further and keep a straight face no longer after Mary looked at me. Her mouth literally dropped open as she stumbled backward in disbelief.

We were all surprised to be together in this strange place. Mary confessed, “I saw Auntie first (that's me). Then I saw Ophilia. I will never forget Ophilia because she use to teach me when I had free time in the evenings. Cynthia I didn’t know at all.” She didn’t recognize her own sister. They have not lived in the same house for several years due to financial hardship and school opportunities. Cynthia being the eldest of 6 children knew her younger sister immediately.

Little did I know during a short stop I had made earlier Ophilia and Cynthia quietly prayed and asked the Lord to let them see Mary that day. One person in this large city of a million inhabitants! Mary could have been anywhere as we drove past even inside the shop selling items. But no, as we were driving by Mary had been outside sweeping with her back facing the road. At just the right moment an 8yr old girl hit Mary causing her to straighten and quickly turn around to yell at the girl. That is when Ophilia and Cynthia were able to recognize her.

Ophilia and Cynthia had the child like faith to ask for the impossible. The Lord honored their request giving them their own “faith story” to take home.

Couldn’t we all use a little more “child like faith” in our lives. May your week be blessed and full of “the element of surprise” as you trust and acknowledge Him, just a little bit more.

Christine & Co


Advertisement



10th September 2007

WOW!
Dear Christine, What an incredible story! God is so good! I was able to find a solar system poster and card game but can't find the stars. How badly do you need the crank pencil sharpener? I only could find one between here and Dallas and it was $25. I'll keep looking but that seemed a bit much. Blessings! In service with Him, Nancy
10th September 2007

Wow!
Isn't that amazing??! What a great story - thanks for sharing it. Summer's coming to a close in Michigan - night's coming sooner, we're out of the upper 80's and 90's (for the moment) and you can just feel autumn coming on. While it's my favorite time of year it's always a little melancholy, too. Not sure why. Maybe because winter's right on it's heels? Always wonderful to read of your adventures and see pictures of your scholars...keep 'em coming! XO Love, p
10th September 2007

child like faith
What is there to say- we have an "Amazing God"! Pastor Gill gave her teaching on this very thing yesteday- but a more adult version. When will we trust that God will do "what only God can do"- he loves all of his "little ones do much"-- even those of us who are not so little in years. Love Nana Adjua
11th September 2007

Hi Nancy
A Solar System Game? Wow! Thank you for searching for the items I mentioned in the blog. We are not desperate for the pencil sharpeners just yet. With the hight cost of postage now, maybe I should wait to buy them on our next trip to the U.S. and bring them back in our luggage. You're a blessing. :)
6th November 2007

Christine, that is an awesome and uplifting story of faith. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. What really makes it memorable for me, is that the older sisters name is Mary. May God continue to bless you, your family and students :)
10th November 2007

Your Sister Mary
Yes, speaking of Mary, how IS your sister Mary? Married? Babies? Where is she? I have such a funny connection with her from such a long time ago ... those days are to me like another world.

Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb