Exploring Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta
January 23rd 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Atop the LighthouseAtop the LighthouseAtop the Lighthouse

This was taken from atop the Lightouse at Woe. Out first glimpse at the Ocean!!

Getting to Know Ghana



Adjusting
While only a short time has passed since we left the US, it feels as if we have been away for months. We have for the most part adjusted to the new time zone and customs. Each day we pick up a little more of the language, which is not easy since each new place we visit has its own completely new language. With exception of some random red spots now and then we are very healthy. With all the fresh pineapple, papaya, plantain, yam, mango, coconut, and bananas in addition to Hilda’s increadable cooking we are probably eating healthier than we did in the States.

Another thing to get used to is how everything works here. We have been trying to get a phone calls to and from the States all week, then found out the phone here is out! For those waiting we will keep trying! The other odd thing is the exchange rate. For 20 US Dollars you walk out with 180,000 cedis! We still are getting used to paying 2,500 for a Coke and remembering its actaully cheap!

I keep getting requets so see pitures of
Our Daily FruitOur Daily FruitOur Daily Fruit

This is the typical fruit we have on hand. In addition we have coconuts, plaintain, and apples.
Katelyn, so I finally got some up! She has been camera shy so I forced her to take a few!! There are also some at this link:
Book for Africa this will also give some more information on the projected we have been working on and more pictures!!


Hitting the Road
On the 18th of January we journeyed outside Kukurantumi for the first time. This is the first of two trips to inspect the new libraries. We go in person to ensure that all the requirements have been meet. If we find that they do not have electricity, fans, a solid board of trustees, or enough tables and shelves, then that library will not receive their books this year.


This tour took us to the Volta Region on the southeast side of Ghana. Our first destination was the coastal fishing town of Woe (pronounces Way). In route we encountered a family of Olive Baboons near the Shai Hills Forest/Game Preserve, our large mammal encounter! They were on the road as we passed, so unfortunately no pictures yet! We traveled down the well paved “West African Highway” out of the mountains and into the coastal plains.
Making ClothesMaking ClothesMaking Clothes

Hilda had been given this sewing machine by an elderly woman. It was made in the 1920's and still has every attachment! We used it to fix some of the clothing we got here.

Woe
On arrival in Woe we only had to ask one person where the library was. They not only knew where it was, but knew that they were excepting us. So they climbed into the Toyota with us and directed us there. After meeting the board and touring the future library they took us out to eat and finally to our hotel for the night. Before settling in though, Katelyn, Kirt, and I went for a quick peek at the beach. In the darkness the waves looked fairly menacing so Katelyn and I stayed away while Kirt jumped in to test the waters. We all decided that tonight wasn’t the time for our first dip as the undertow proved powerfully strong here.

The next morning we awoke to find a full breakfast prepared for us by one member of the Woe Library board of directors. Ghanaian hospitality is amazing! We had hot cereal, egg, toast, tea, fruit, and all types of condiments.

Our next stop in Woe was seeing the fishing market come alive! The fisherman were bringing in their fresh catch and selling them right out of the boat to women waiting at the dock. They
The Fish MarkertThe Fish MarkertThe Fish Markert

This is the fish market at Woe. You can see the tradtional boats that are still used.
still use the traditional carved wood boats with home made sails. The catch was tilapia , shrimp, crab, and many types of small fish. We saw a small bucket of shrimp sell for 4,000 cedis, or about 0.50 USD.

After the market we headed down to the beach on Cape St. Paul. A young man named Francis showed us around, another example of the hospitality. When arriving near the beach you must pass through a gate and past a light house on foot, so we were uncertain if we were allowed in the area. We asked the first person we saw and he escorted us all the way in, even getting permission for us to climb the lighthouse. We would have been lucky to get a nod in the right direction back home! The lighthouse has been there for over a hundred years, but has recently been replaced. The steps to the top were dangerously steep! From atop we finally got our first full view of the ocean. The water is so blue here, and usually stays around 75 degrees. The beach was palm lined, but not groomed of the trash that has washed up in the high tide.
Traditional FishingTraditional FishingTraditional Fishing

Ghanians still use traditional fishing boats or carved wood and home made sails
Still it was beautiful to be on a tropical beach only 6 degrees from the equator.

Teteman
Our next stop was the small, isolated village of Teteman. While also in the Volta Region, it was an entirely different experience. The four hour journey north took us back into the mountains, this time east of Lake Volta. Here the mountains are bigger and the valleys heavily forested. We actually dipped briefly into the neighboring country of Togo on the way. The road up to the town was something out of Colorado! The rough dirt road switched back up and up until we reached the outskirts of the town. People were literally waiting to greet us as we drove into town, as the road winds so far up they had seen us coming well before we arrived.

A forest reserve surrounds Teteman giving the steep mountain sides a deep green of palms and other lush tropical foliage. The town showed us an older version of life in Ghana. The relative isolation of rough roads and tough geography has allowed the town to remain as it was a generation ago. This is not to say that it is primitive
The Village of TetemanThe Village of TetemanThe Village of Teteman

The hillside town of Teteman is an example of an older way of life here in Ghana.
in the least. In fact Teteman was one of the most progressive towns we saw. They had street lighting, pressurized water pump (before the people had to descend to the valley floor for water, and haul it back up again), and of course the library. The building was brand new, with its size and facilities to put it at the top of its class!

After meeting the board and inspecting the library we walked through the town to a church perched on the peak. The church had stood here for over a hundred years and recently received renovation to its present day grandeur. I was allowed to climb the bell tower via steep ladders. At the top I got to hang with the huge statue of Jesus and check out the town from above.

Now we move on to dinner. They had prepared for the four of us three African dishes complete with fried fish (head and all of course), fresh fruits, bread, kenkey, rice, tea, and desert. It was quite a feast! The morning come by watching the sun rise over the valleys and then enjoying an incredible breakfast with hot rice cereal, omelet, a spicy pasta
The Church at TetemanThe Church at TetemanThe Church at Teteman

This catholic church is over 100 years old, recenty it has undergone renovation. I was able to climb its bell tower and look out over Teteman.
dish (which I ate nearly all of), and much more. All of this was courtesy of the town and the board of the library. I can not wait to return to the views and hospitality of Teteman!



Coming Up
We then returned to Kukurantumi for a couple days of rest. On the 23rd of January we will make an hours drive for another inspection. Then on the 25th we will resume our tour de Ghana. We will be away for 9 days this time to inspect the reaming new libraries. This journey will take us near the northern border with Burkina Faso into the town of Bolga. We will then head southwest to the town of Mim and finally to Sefwi-Wiawso. Upon returning we will be busy with final preparations for Quinsis’ wedding! There is no lack of things to do here!


Advertisement



23rd January 2006

Beautiful!
What a great description of your journey. You take us right along with you and it is wonderful to experience it vicariously. Thank you. The scenery is beautiful and only second in splendor to my darling, Katelyn's face! I can see you are both healthy and happy. Thank you. Love you both, Mom
24th January 2006

Amazing work you are doing in Ghana. I know Kukurantumi. I grew up in Koforidua and my mother used to make forays to that town now and then to visit relatives and and attend funerals. Ah books! I grew up near the Koforidua library and I must say - in all modesty - I read most of the books on the shelf of that small library. The result - a scholarship to Harvard, a Phd at Stanford and now I am engaged in writing a multi-volume work on books. I plan to do something similar to what you guys are doing as soon as my work is completed. Meanwhile, I look forward to reading more of your adventures. Kwasi Appiah Chicago
26th January 2006

none
Too jealous to write anything funny. Emily read and she is jealous too. we've decided to start club j.o.k.a.r. (Jealous Of Katelyn And Ryan). we decided we will make our own blog where we digitally insert our faces into photos of worldly destinations. have fun at the wedding and i hope your beautiful trip continues to awe you!
22nd September 2010

Thanks
I thank the entire citizens of my town,Teteman Buem for the Hospitality shown to our visitors and thanks to visitors for considering my town.We are most bless having you visiting us and for the Good comments of the town.I pray may God bless you and UNITE the citizens.Hope to see u again.Bye

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb