Gone to Ghana: My African Adventures


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Eastern » Tinkong
December 26th 2014
Published: December 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

December 26, 2014

I just experienced the craziest Christmas ever. Dream Africa went to Tinkong in the Eastern Region, which is one of the rural areas volunteers can go to. We made and served food for over 2,000 children. We left Accra on Christmas Eve afternoon and came back Christmas night around 8 P.M. Yesterday most of us woke up around 6 A.M. to start cutting vegetables and cooking rice. We cooked 200 kilograms of rice! I mostly helped with chopping the vegetables and fruits. I got covered in pineapple, watermelon, and pawpaw (papaya) juice. We all worked together fairly well. However, when the time came to serve the food that was when the mayhem began. Isaac, the coordinator of the Eastern Region’s projects, made the announcement to all of the surrounding villages and the number of children that came was too much. Trying to keep the children in lines to serve them was nearly impossible. I really saw how in a third-world country it’s a dog eat dog world. Parents would continue to push their children in the front of the line no matter how many times we tried to tell them that they needed to go to the back of the line, and then when they moved back they just pushed their children in somewhere in the middle. It was one of those eye opening experiences, especially on Christmas. We tried to serve fried rice, a sausage, fruit, a package of biscuits, and a cup of juice to all the children, but at a certain point we started running out of our packages and had to get creative with serving the food we had left over. It was the hottest Christmas I’ve ever experienced, but despite the heat Jamal got into a Santa suit at one point. We were all too beat to do anything with the games that Jamal had organized afterwards. In the trotro on the way back to Accra some of us made a schedule for the shower when we got back based on calling shotgun. That was the most satisfying shower I had ever taken in my life. I was covered with fruit juice, sweat, dirt, and the stench of smoke. Despite the fact that we were all exhausted we went to the neighborhood bar HillyZ for sandwiches and drinks. Most people even went out to Osu (the district where the nightclubs are) afterwards, but I was too tired. I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas. Despite mine being crazy, exhausting, and scorching hot it was definitely memorable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

What are you having for Christmas dinner?What are you having for Christmas dinner?
What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Nessy wanted to catch this goat, but it got away.
Seattle Sonics shirtSeattle Sonics shirt
Seattle Sonics shirt

I saw this boy wearing this shirt and I knew I had to take this picture for my friends and family.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb