Ghana so far


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Eastern » Koforidua
January 20th 2011
Published: January 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Been in Ghana a few weeks now so thought I ought to update this.
So the project that we're doing is coming along pretty quickly as the walls are going up, but its still tiring making the mud bricks and the cement etc in aboput 35 degree heat. We do avoid the mid day heat though as we start at 8:30 and finish by 12:30 so its not too bad. My host family is really nice even though we dont see that much of the reverend, Ma is always around as is Quasi if we need anything and the food is good (if u like rice and chicken that is). Alot of stuff takes time to get used to but once youve had 30 kids shouting "abruni, abruni" (white boy) after u down a road u get used to it. Transport is always fun as the main two methods are either hitchhiking (usually in pickups or trucks) or getting a trop-trop (small minibus usually held together with duct tape).
The towns are chaotic as everyone is trying to sell anything to you but that does mean that shopping is quite fun as you can find pretty much anything on someones head. The best thing so far though has been the locals- even guys trying to sell u stuff will shake your hand and welcome you to their country and several times cars have slowed and several hands shot out to shake mine, its a bit surreal.
As you can imagine electricity and internet are quite hard to come by as our village has no power unless someone sticks a generator on for about half and hour (this is always accompanied by a rush to grab chargers). this and the lack of runnning water has taken some getting used to, but bucket showers are fine and there is always a supply of fresh water satchets at the house.
At the moment I am in Accra on the way to Buswa for a weekend on the beach, last weekend was much the same as 4 of us went to Cape Coast for the weekend, and definately worth the 6 hour trop ride- Buswa is another 3 hours from Cape Coast so thatll be fun tomorrow!

Not sure when next entry will be but check back next week

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb