Catch Up on Addis


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
June 17th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Addis Ababa... When you first come to Ethiopia and get your first breath of Addis, your nose and your eyes remember right away that you are back. The smell of injera (a spice used in all Ethiopian cooking) mixed with car exhaust and pollution assault your nose as soon as you walk out doors. It is a smell you get quickly use to and after a short while and you don't smell it anymore. My eyes take longer to adjust, the smog is thick here and my eyes burn from the pollution but they too will adjust. Addis is a city of millions that sits in the highlands of Ethiopia. It is overrun with mini buses and big trucks with few stop lights or street names. You must be a native here to know where you are going, I would bet Map Quest would find this place a challenge. Right now there is no power here. A few places like my hotel and some business' have generators for power but in general the city is powerless due to the drought. They have power about every other day in alternating sections. Imagine this system at home. They are hopeful the rains will come in early July and soon they will be back to regular power levels.
It is amazing how here people go on with no worries about it, it's just the way it is. If this was an ongoing thing in the US, heads would roll.
It is a beautiful city (sorta), nestle in the hills and mountains in the distance are eye catching. Unfortunately, the city and it's lack of resources show on every level. There is a mixture of everything here. Streets that need work with large holes and shanty towns everywhere, beggars and babies on the street asking for Birr (money) and big buildings with discos and internet cafes. Goats, donkeys and dogs walk along the crowded streets right here in downtown, dodging the traffic like everyone else. People carrying briefcases along with people carrying fire timber walk along together. That's what makes this place special you can see a goat herder along side a business man, neither playing mind to the other. It is all here in one block. ( which there is no block system)


Advertisement



18th June 2009

Weirdness going on with Travel blog
Hi there, for some reason I read you most recent post (about the brain drain) and commented but I can't access it right now so if you aren't getting many comments it may be that there is something funky going on with TB. We haven't abandoned you! I know I am avidly reading all your posts! Peace, KJ
19th June 2009

Painted a Classic Picture
I love the picture you just painted of Addis in my head... from your blog the line I loved the most was " what makes this place special you can see a goat herder along side a business man, neither playing mind to the other." Addis is truly special and I am so excited to be heading back "home" after all these years.
20th June 2009

Thank You
It is nice to know that someone who has lived here can envision what I am writing about. You have a unique perspective, so I am honored you have found and are reading my blog. This is a special place and I am sure it will welcome you home with open arms.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb