GOODS


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
June 17th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

GOODS and more Goods… Toyota parts, pipes for plumbing, TV’s (flat screens and not) food, toys, blenders, clothes, rugs, towels, medicine, bed spreads, etc, etc…. Imagine living in a place where in order to get a lot of those things you have to leave your country and bring them back home. Africans that can afford to travel bring back HUGE boxes of everything. They fill their trolleys at the airport with huge bags and boxes duck taped together carry it back home either to give to their friends or sell. ( There would be a good living selling duck tape at the airport to Africans who need to shore up those boxes and bags... Next time I come I am bring loads of tape!!!!) As Westerners, we have no idea what it is like to want something and have no access to it even if we have the money. Truth be told, if we can pay for it we can get anything we want. ( Target's got it all) But when you live in Mali, or Tanzania or Ethiopia you can’t simply go to the store and buy it. You either pay someone to bring it into the country for you or you go get it yourself ( abroad) or you don’t get it at all. So imagine hundreds of African men and women waiting in long lines to check their boxes and bags that they have shopped for and suddenly the rules change on what can be carried on and checked. Most expected to pay a fee but many expected to be able to carry on 2 large items on the plane not just 1 and not have 7kg limit per bag. New policy on Ethiopian Airlines, started last week... What happens? All hell breaks lose! Literally!

Advertisement



19th June 2009

Hello from Mom
Kim, yes I am reading your blogs and am thrilled that you have been able to accomplish some of your goals, by meeting with various contacts. My prayers and strength are with you always! Love, MOM

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb