Africa is a long way!


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
June 16th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Traveling over here it struck me how much easier it would be for me to help here, if it was just a hour plane ride that you could do on a long weekend or a monthly trip. You could work a while and just go home and come back another day.... I say that realizing, that is probably not true. We have things right outside our neighborhoods that we drive pass everyday and do nothing about. And we can't blame it on the distance. So maybe that is the allure to Africa it is so far away and it take an effort to get there. It takes full days of long plane rides and long layovers, just to set foot on the continent. (Business class helps a lot) but still... Then, you have a 9 hour time change to adjust to and in Ethiopia the calendar moves back 8 years... it is 2001! Yes really! So maybe because it is so far, my committment is stronger because you can't travel all this way and be" half ass". There is no, I will finish next week or I will come back later. It is now or never. I must admit, as far as it is and as long as it takes, Africa doesn't disappoint. It is truly a world a way. You feel that when you walk off the plane. It is not like traveling in the US, where almost anywhere you go, you can find a Target, or McDonalds or a Walgreens or Red Lobster. Africa tells you right away, 'you ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy' (aka Kim), so make good use of your time with us and fully commit to every second you have here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb