Temple of Karnak


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt
November 28th 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

CalecheCalecheCaleche

Our caleche ride to the Karnak temple.
Shane and I had just about had it in regards to temples and almost didn't make it out of bed, but we mustered up our energy to go see Karnak which was a good decision. After a lovely caleche ride, we were deposited near the massive temple of Karnak. It is the largest temple in the world covering over 100 acres and was built over 1300 years. However, the only part that is accessible to visitors in called the Precint of Amun. It is a grand temple which was only be appreciated by seeing it in person - my favourite part was the Forest of Columns which consists of 134 massive papyrus columns with beautiful, intricate carvings.

In the afternoon, Shane and I just putzed around. We are heading out to take the 5:20 PM train to Aswan (in 1st class no less - which was nice!). We are happy to leave Luxor and only have to come back for our flight to Sharm el-Sheikh. Although there are many beautiful monuments here, we will be happy to never come back to this city. Let's hope Aswan makes a better impression!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

KarnakKarnak
Karnak

Entry to the temple with its massive pylons.
KarnakKarnak
Karnak

Huge statue of Ramses II with this beloved wife, Nefertari.
KarnakKarnak
Karnak

Here is just a small part of the Forest of Columns - must be seen in person to appreciate its beauty!
KarnakKarnak
Karnak

A close up of one of the papyrus columns.


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb