Edfu to Luxor - where it is fricken hot!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
July 1st 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

EdfuEdfuEdfu

Temple of Edfu dedicated to Horus
This morning we were up early again for a quick stop at the temple of Edfu dedicated to the falcon-headed god Horus. Okay, quick bit of mythology for ya - there were originally 4 Gods that were created - two guys and 2 chicks. Each were betrothed to the other, and Seth wasn't too impressed when he got stuck with the ugly sister of sadness who cried all the time, and wanted the beautiful Isis who was the goddess of beauty and music. He was supposed to be the King, but as he was such a grumpy and jealous dude, the people kicked him out and put Osiris, the fat happy brother, in his place. Now Osiris was married to the lovely Isis, so Seth was a bit ticked and decided to kill his brother - as you do. So, he chopped him up into bits and threw him all over Egypt - but made sure to chop off his manly bits and his head and threw them into the Nile never to be recovered.

Isis, being a bit distraught, grew some wings and flew all over Egypt and collected the 42 parts of Osiris and put him back together
Egyptian fancy dress nightEgyptian fancy dress nightEgyptian fancy dress night

A few of the guys doing their thing on fancy dress night - Steven, James & Antony
again, after which he became the god of the underworld. They had a son - Horus - the falcon headed god who the temple at Edfu was dedicated too.

We wondered around, took some more piccies, and then went to perform our first real bartering session for some clothes to wear to our Egyptian fancy dress party for tonight. James put on a lovely el-sheik black combo and was promptly asked to pay many thousands for which he said 'get this off me and give me the cheap stuff' and thus bought a snazzy white outfit. I managed to get my 100% pure cotton ensemble for not a bad price really and then got our little head-dresses for a steal on the way out with people calling out to us. James thought he was doing really well as guys kept calling out to him 'you must be very strong man to have 3 wives' as he was wondering around with 3 chicks at the time - yeah right, he wishes!!

The afternoon was spent cruising up the Nile, dipping in the wee-pool and then finally getting into Luxor where we watched the English take on Portugal in the
Egyptian fancy dress night IIEgyptian fancy dress night IIEgyptian fancy dress night II

A few of the girls - Sara, me and Adella
soccer at an outdoor bar. James was a tad inconsolable for a while after both England and Australia where out of the Cup, but we had to make it back to the boat for dinner and drinkies for our fancy dress night. The boat had a little disco-tech and we watched a somewhat questionably-attractive bellydancer do her thing as well as frequent visits to our room so James could top up his 'pepsi' can. The whole night was pretty funny, with one of the guys, Jack, and American, looking more like Jesus in his get up than anyting else, so he of course took on this persona.

We booted out the DJ after some terrible selections, hooked up my iPod instead and had people up on the floor dancing and boogying until we got booted out for being too noisy.

All in all, a good night! Though James could have a few issues tomorrow....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb