Hidden Treasures


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
May 1st 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sinister SekhmetSinister SekhmetSinister Sekhmet

Sekhmet in outdoor museum.
One can't help but be impressed by the enormity of the temples at Karnak. Our first visit with a guide from the cruise boat took over an hour but felt rushed. Armed with a little inside knowledge, we decided to head back for another look.

Away from the main tourist crush we wandered through the outdoor museum and marvelled at the White Chapel of Senusset (1965 BC), the Red Chapel of Hatshepsut and the Alabaster Chapel of Amenhotep. There are also several statues of Sekhmet, the goddess wife of Ptah.

But the real treasure was hidden away in a dark corner of the Temple of Ptah, rarely visited by the throngs of tourists. Off to the side of Ptah's headless figure, behind a locked door opened for the appropriate amount of backsheesh, is an exquisite statue of Sekhmet. The side chapel was lit only by a few rays of sun through a small hole in the stone roof.

As our eyes adjusted to the eerie gloom, the black granite statue came into focus. With the head of a lioness, the bare-breasted figure sat proud. Dusty now, it was easy to imagine this dark bringer of pestilence striking terror in ancient Egyptian hearts.

And to answer Dave's questions, no we are still part of the 2% of non-smokers in Egypt. Our request for non-smoking rooms is met with a yes, yes, but there are always matches and ashtrays in the rooms. As far as we know, we haven't eaten goat or camel, however pigeon tastes like chicken but is more fiddley.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb