The final judgement


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
April 30th 2008
Published: April 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Judgement DayJudgement DayJudgement Day

Part of the final judgement displayed on papyrus
Deir Al Medina (monastery of the town) was the temple so named because it was occupied by early Coptic christian monks. Although small, it does have an excellent scene of the final judgement.

The deceased is pictured extolling his virtues to the Egyptian gods who sit in judgement, and his heart is being weighed on a scale against the feather of justice. Anubis, the jackal-headed god of mummification stands awaiting the decision. If the heart is heavier, it will be consumed by Amit (a creature that is part lion, part crocodile and part pig who will eat all the evil) and the soul being judged will be denied everlasting life in the afterworld. If the heart is lighter than the feather of justice, then the mummy will be rejoined with its soul and will be led by the falcon god Horus to paradise to meet Osiris (lord of heaven), Isis (the goddess of love and beauty) and Nephytys (the goddesss of magic) to enjoy everlasting life in the hereafter.


Message to Pauline. Can you please e-mail F? I am confused by your dates and don't have your e-mail address with me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb