Pigeons, Temples, and Trains


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
November 4th 2007
Published: April 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Luxor gave us time to explore Luxor Temple and Karnak Temple.

First up was Karnak which was already filled with tourists early in the morning. Lots of crowds here early in the morning which made it a bit harder to manoeuvre around. The first thing you see when you approach the temple entrance is the avenue of Sphinxes that line the walkway into the temple. The temple itself is quite huge- larger than the other temples we had visited because the outlying area of the temple contain smaller shrines and buildings in the sand. An old wall surrounds the entire complex. There is a lot to see here with the many pillars, an obelisk, a hidden lake, and statues. It’s worth taking a look around the smaller temples. One that we visited was the shrine/temple of Sekhmhet, the cat goddess. Away from the crowds we had a private showing of the temple after passing a few Egyptian pounds on to the guards at the entrance who then helped us see in the dark with their flashlights.

Next stop was Luxor Temple which we had seen from our felucca ride on the Nile. Smaller than Karnak,
SphinxesSphinxesSphinxes

Avenue of Sphinxes
the complex is interesting since it was reclaimed and turned into a basilica at one point. Instead of demolishing the existing temple, the basilica was attached to the original structure and continued on from there. Parts of the Luxor temple were still clearly from the basilica, such as a fresco on the wall of the apostles that restorers were working on. It was also used as a mosque at one point so tiles were still visible on the walls.

Our lunch stop included the delicacy of stuffed pigeon that I was the only one willing to try. Pretty tasty, but really dry…overall, not bad!

Before re-joining the rest of our tour that we had left in Cairo and boarding an overnight train back to Cairo, we had time for a little shopping, a mummy museum, and henna tattoos.

The train from Luxor to Cairo wasn’t too bad. Small and cramped with our suitcases, the beds weren’t too uncomfortable and I managed to get some sleep, although earplugs would have helped with the constant noise of the train.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ShopsShops
Shops

Always something to sell
EntranceEntrance
Entrance

Me in front of the Avenue of Sphinxes
LakeLake
Lake

Lake inside the temple
SekhmhetSekhmhet
Sekhmhet

The entrance to the shrine of Sekhmhet
Karnak groundsKarnak grounds
Karnak grounds

Outside the main temple area
Luxor & MeLuxor & Me
Luxor & Me

So tiny next to the giant statues
LuxorLuxor
Luxor

Part of the old mosque
LuxorLuxor
Luxor

Fresco from the basillica
Temple faceTemple face
Temple face

Statue at the temple entrance
HouseHouse
House

Buildings that line the street back up right onto the ancient sites


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb