I'm now an official member of the Moses groupie club


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai
November 23rd 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

That Moses dude sure got around. Not only did he go up Mount Nebo and see the Promised Land, he also parted the Red Sea, and also got the 10 Commandments at the top of Mount Sinai.

19 to 21 Nov - Took the ferry from Aqaba, Jordan to Nuweiba, Sinai. Final destination was the Red Sea resort of Dahab accompanied by an armed police escort. Had a very relaxing time walking around the town, eating fabulous seafood, and snorkelling at the Blue Hole which is a famous diving spot. However it's only for expert divers. There are lots of memorials of people who have perished here. During our visit we were shocked to learn that a high-tech diver had drowned in the Blue Hole the previous day. The amazing aspect was the seemingly neverending coral cliffs and the incredible fishlife. But never as good as the Great Barrier Reef.

22 to 23 Nov - The final leg of the Moses rock tour. Nothing for it but to hit the trail and go up Mount Sinai (2285m) to watch both the sunset and the sunrise. We were the only ones camping up there under the stars. It was all very peaceful, until we were rudely awakened at 3am in the morning by rampaging Christian pilgrims jostling for spots to catch the 6am sunrise. After the sun came up a Korean choir group sang some hymns which added to the mood. Hate to admit it but the sunset was a lot better. Then it was off the mountain, past St Katherine's Monastery, and onwards to Cairo.

We've covered a lot of mileage on this trip, somewhere between 4500 and 5500 kms. Have had a great time, and would definitely do another overland trip sometime.





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Beer o'clockBeer o'clock
Beer o'clock

Enjoying one of the local brews - Luxor beer
Scrummy seafoodScrummy seafood
Scrummy seafood

Grilled sea bass in olive oil and herbs with veggies and dips
Catching some raysCatching some rays
Catching some rays

Resting up before the next round of snorkelling, lunch, drinks etc
BellsBells
Bells

Top snorkelling spot at the next headland to the Blue Hole
Camel carparkCamel carpark
Camel carpark

Every step of the way up Mount Sinai you are hassled by camel dudes
Going upGoing up
Going up

The last 750 steps are a killer
PilgrimsPilgrims
Pilgrims

Waiting for the sunrise


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb