Monastery & Mt Sinai


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
March 11th 2006
Published: April 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

1 of early Christianities only surviving churches named after the “legendary” martyr, St Kat! Kat was tortured on a spiked wheel for her Christianity & beheaded. But angels took her body up to the highest peak in Egypt!
Bit of trivia for ya.
Me n Pete did a day trip out to the monastery. We got there in the morn after a 2 hr drive through the barren, rocky Sinai dessert. We checked out the Byzantine church, Moses’s well (which if you drink from provides u with marital bliss!) & the burning bush .
Then we began the pilgrimage up the 2285m of Mt Sinai to have a word with the big fella up stairs!
@ the top there is a tiny church which is meant to be the sight that god came down to Moses with the 10 commandments! ( I think Moses had heat stroke after the huge climb in the sweltering heat & was hallucinating!) Stayed up top for the start of the sunset and then had to run down so as not to miss the ride back.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Tiny churchTiny church
Tiny church

3000m up & i met a few of the monks!
Put the volleys up!Put the volleys up!
Put the volleys up!

Finally up the top, so now the wait for sunset.


16th April 2006

shoes
nice shoes
2nd January 2007

WOW
Like the pics,, Im doing a charity trek to Sinai in Nov 07 and the first morning we get up at 2 am to see the sun rise at the top of Mt Sinai. Thanks for the insight. (Scotland)

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb