Eqypt-29 Sept-16October 2010-old places revisited


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt
October 16th 2010
Published: October 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After 12 days in Libya, we arrived at the Egyptian border.We spent 5 hours getting through immigration which was not bad. and we drove on to Masra Matruh where we got a beer supply and beached camped out of town in the desert. there was a bit of celebration -fuelled by alcohol.(after nearly 2 weeks of deprivation)The following day we drove on to El Elamein and visited the museum and war cemetry where the tide of the North African war was turned. Driving on to Alexandria we stayed at Hotel Triomphe and enjoyed 2 days where we dined and wined. The Monty bar at the Hotel Cecil was visited and appart from alcohol and the singer the history was interesting because Monty met with Churchill here to plan the next moves in the war. On to Cairo and the Swiss Inn Hotel for 2 days. here we visited the pyramids, rode camels,saw the cairo Museum and of course ate and drank. Last time we were here we were with Tom who was 8. Annie and I visited the souk, Islamic areas and found old places we had visited in 1997. Next it was an overnight train to Aswan and Orchida hotel.
Egypt CairoEgypt CairoEgypt Cairo

Pyramids
Here we had a nile cruise and then it was on to a 2 day Felucca trip toward Luxor. This was great with Nile swims and beers and excellent food. Arriving at Luxor we stayed at Rezeiky Camp and this was excellent and of course most upgraded to a room while we camped. The pool was great and we enjoyed a couple of days relaxing, visiting Karnak, seeing the Luxor museum ,valley of the kings,valley of the workers and generally enjoying ourselves(as well as a romantic dinner at the Lotus restaurant in the Souk). we departed then for a long drive and camped near St pauls monastry after going under the Suez canal . This was one of the best places we had been. Here we met another Oasis group. we were shown around by monks and had a great night under the stars. Further driving and into Sinai,we stopped at st Katherines monastry and climbed Mt Sinai-spending the night there and watching the sun rise. It was quite cold but I was warm in my sleeping bag. After being alone for most of the night we were invaded by 500 tourists which made it quite crowded. The next stop was Dahab and 4 nights at Bishbishi resort. This was pure R+R and we relaxed drinking eating and snorkelling. This was the best reef I have ever seen and it was a great 4 days. Egypt was at an end and it was on to Jordan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb