BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza
May 1st 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Step Pyramids at SaqqaraStep Pyramids at SaqqaraStep Pyramids at Saqqara

Moustafa, some local Egyptian, had put this on our head faster than we could say no.

Hello again blogland! Adam here with an update.

Today was unreal.... Tran and I woke up real early today with a special mission....see the pyramids! Our tour guide Adel picked us up at around 8:30 in the morning and we started out on our private tour of Giza, Saqqara and the Egyptian museum.

There was no traffic today(thank god) because of a holiday in Egypt and many people were praying at mosque. Our first stop was at Saqqara to view the 5000 year old Step Pyramid and its surrounding temples. It was pretty hot here today, about 36 celsius but very comfortable because of the dryness. We pulled up to the Step Pyramid and Tran and I were speachless. To see something that old, that mysterious was something to behold. This pyramid was about 70 metres tall and around 100 metres on each side of its square base. It was small compared to the Giza pyramids that we were going to see later though. We explored the area for about an hour and then took off to a local carpet "school" to see how carpets were made. We were pretty sure that we were brought there to buy something, but at 800 Egyptian pounds (approx. $200 usd) for something the size of a bath towel, we politely said no thanks. And then off to the crown jewel, the Pyramids of Giza.

We arrived about 30 mins later and were absolutely blown away by the size of these things! The largest pyramid, that of Pharoah Khufu was over 430 feet tall! The crowds were somewhat light and we managed some great pics that we will share with all of you at a later date. We then got our guide Adel to haggle a couple of camel rides for us for 60 Egyptian Pounds, the equivalent of $15usd each! He said that they can charge upto 300-400 pounds for tourists. The ride lasted for around 35minutes and was amazing. The camel stands almost 10 feet tall, so it's a long way down! Tran and I got some amazing shots of the pyramids at this point and we headed back to the second largest pyramid, that of Pharoah Khefrin, to journey inside to see his final resting place, the inner burial chamber!

This is not for people who are clausterphobic. We had to crouch down a shaft that ran
Carpet SchoolCarpet SchoolCarpet School

These are children at the "carpet school" we visited who create these big giant hand made carpets from scratch. Very impressive
about 20 metres to the Queens chamber and up another small-crouch shaft for another 30 metres until we reached the King's chamber. This experience was surreal. We were standing in the middle of a 4500 year old/400 feet tall pyramid. We crawled our way out and journeyed to the Sphinx. The Sphinx was smaller than we thought and was undergoing some minor repairs so we could not get too close.

Our last stop of the day was at the 120 year old Egyptian Museum. The most famous exhibit at this museum is of course King Tut. They had absolutely every last piece of everything that was found in his tomb, from Gold flip flops to a solid gold chair to his mummy - we saw it all. Sorry, no pictures as no cameras were allowed inside the Museum. We were still in awe by what we have done today, it's something we've always wanted to do.

For dinner, we ate at an authentic Egyptian restaurant that was almost impossible to find but it was delicious. We walked along the Nile to take some night pictures until we reached the Cairo Tower and then return for sleep. The Egyptian people blew us away how kind and friendly they are. They would offer you the shirt off their back if they could!

Thanks for catching up with us. It might be a couple of days until we write again as internet is hard to come by.

P.S. Thank you Angelique for everything you've done. We owe you big time!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Adam at the PyramidsAdam at the Pyramids
Adam at the Pyramids

Adam is so tall, he was able to reach the tip of this Great Pyramid too


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb