UNBELIEVABLE!!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
April 30th 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post


Hello again all!!

We did not forget about you guys, we just didn't have access to internet here in Cairo. We eventually found an american-style cafe beside the Nile river that is very cheap....the hotel was $40 usd a day!!

Where to begin? The anticipation was really setting in once we arrived at the Paris airport knowing that we were about to go to a continent, country, and city that we've never been to before. We were also a little unsure of what to expect in this sometimes turbulent country. Our fears were quickly put to rest once we realized about 10 to 15 people on our flight were Canadians and were just excited as we were. We finally landed in Cairo and passed through the Swine Flu test with flying colors! Woo hoo!

Upon stepping outside the airport doors, we were greeted by about 300 cab drivers eager to get our money. After finally giving in to one, we finally understood why Cairo traffic is so famous. There were two marked lanes but 5 cars across!! No joke. We arrived at the hotel and were met soon after by our colleague, Charlotte's, husband Magdi and his cousin. They took us out on the town for some true Cairo cuisine and beer and they were very generous and hospitable. We were very thankful.

We explored our hotel a little (our hotel used to be a palace built for a queen in the 1880s) and then called it a night.

More to come from Cairo...

P.S. We got your message, mom. We're glad to hear Belley is sleeping better and thank you again for taking care of her.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb