The ancient worlds meet me.


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza
December 26th 2008
Published: December 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello all hope every1 has had a good xmas, currently in Giza now, after getting my overnight train up here.

So i will as usual start were i left off, left Khartoum the ghost town and headed north to Wadi Halfa, we stopped in Munroe to see some ancient pyramids they were pretty cool, especially when we camped out on the other side of them by a sanddune, which made for the perfect poo spot on top in the morning, i had the sunrise to my right and the pyramids to my left, you cudnt ask for better optimal pooing conditions.

So left Munroe and carried on bushcamping and our floor board buffet of all the food on the truck, was good. Stopped at some more pyramids and climbed up one of them, nofink like appreciating the ancient sites.

Got to Wadi Halfa played some bouche (wat the southern hemisphere call french boules) and we had a record crowed surpassed by nofink i have ever seen, 20 men and 3 donkeys, truley a record that will not be surpassed.

Got on the ferry that takes us up to Aswan, was actually pretty good shared a cabin room with Kimbo but would have been happy sitting up on deck sleeping under the stars, but your didn get swarmed with flies in the cabin so that was a bonus.
Got to Aswan and started the temple tours went to Abu Simbel and Philae Temple both of them are pretty amazing and beat all expectations of what i fort they would be like every inch of wall covered in intricate carvings, pretty amazing. ( i will put pics on at some point honest)
Also had my first macdonalds in 3.5 months and it was goood. Double cheese, large chips and strawberry milkshake, good times.

Next did our feluca trip which was really cool, could have walked the distance we have sailed in one day in about 2hours but still good to just chill on a boat with the sun beating down on us.
Also had a cabin bit at the front about 9ft by 5ft which we named the cabin of no return, once you went in you didn come out the same and the feluca men enjoyed a smoke, and we enjoyed a drink so it got very messy with about 10 people in this little room, did struggle to get back on our felluca that night i had to crawl up the 1ft wide plank back to my boat, as i cudn actually ballance at all. Stevo fell in.

Had the second day the same then on the third we got taxied to Komobo temple and Edfu temple both again pretty impressive, also went to the temple of Karnak which is huge and rite in the centre of luxor, even went on a horse and cart with Allie like proper tourists.

So christmas day, wat a random day. We went to the valley of the kings, first the boat across while we are sitting on the planks on the boat Sash feels sumfink around her legs, we lift up the cover and there is a boy under there sleeping! Strange but this is Africa.
Got off the boat and got our transport donkeys, i recommend this to every1 it was so funny and the donkeys try to race eachother and there not the easiest of animals to control especially going down a main road with coaches and cars going past, a little daunting, but very funny.
Got to the valley of the kings was ok there are over 60 tombs and they have only just discovered another in the last few months which is currently being excavated.

So got the donkeys back along the edge of the cliffs a little scary and when they realise they are goin home that start to gallop, this made it more funny as we are holdin on for dear life on the back of our donkeys.
Got back to camp for xmas dinner which was nice and did our secret santas, some presents went down like lead balloons other were very funny, Rosso who ended up with mine got cadburys chocolate, a tin of tuna, my left over coco pops and a statue of a man with a big cock. ( And mine wasnt the worse to be givin out.) Carlo got the head of some queen in a statue about the size of my thumb. Some people didnt make there $5 go along way.

So after my goodbyes i got a matatu to the station holding on with the door wide open, not fun. The train itself was fine and im now in Giza ready to go see the pyramids and museum and then I catch my flight tonight for the second part of my adventure SE Asia and I cant wait.

So anyway hope everyone had a great xmas and enjoy the few days off you get. Will do a final blog summing up the whole of africa in the next couple of days.

Speak to you all soon, also saw the amount of pressies Summer has got looks like im gonna be making up for these misses when i finally get home its gonna cost me.
And hope all the guys had a good time in hogs, wish i could have been there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb