The Cairo Wow Factor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
October 22nd 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Flight:



Our flight from Vancouver left a few minutes late but no problems since we had a 5 hour wait in Heathrow so there were no scheduling problems. Watched 3 B- grade movies and did Sudoku. At Heathrow I window shopped and kept looking for wheat-free snacks while Ross did editing work. I was able to find peanuts, potato chips and cappuccinos. Good healthy start. London to Cairo was 4 hours and I was able to sleep for maybe 30 minutes. We arrived at midnight and by the time we got to the hotel and into our room it was 1:30 am Wed. Ross zonked out right away but I kept hearing the traffic, the music and big city noise until 4:30 am and then I fell asleep until our 6:00 am courtesy wake-up call.



Cairo:



Wednesday



We stayed at the Semiramis Hotel in Cairo central which is 5 star with a marvellous breakfast buffet which included all the usual American breakfast items plus Egyptian foods. We then had an 8 am meeting with our group. 13 people and 1 guide - 6 Canadians and
fabric shopfabric shopfabric shop

we just zoomed by - only one other quilter in the group
7 Americans. Then off we went to our first pyramid – Saqqara. This is hard to describe because in person it is amazing, awe-inspiring and it’s so hard to believe we are actually here seeing it in person. We were walking on stone and touching columns that were made more than 5000 years ago and seeing some of the first Egyptian temple paintings. Our guide Hanan is a wealth of information but not overdoing it with too much emphasis on dates. Our lunch was at a special chicken restaurant and from the outside everyone was a little wary. Egypt is a very littered country since the January revolution and garbage is not on the government’s priority list right now. Inside the restaurant was clean and hygienic and we had some super appetizers with hot, fresh pita bread. Chicken was good too.



Next stop was the Giza pyramids and Sphinx. WOW. Wow, wow. I got very good photos which I whittled down to 375. We got to climb down and down to the tomb in one of the smaller queen’s pyramids. The tunnel was small and you had to stay crouched over and the heat was hot! I saw a few people start in and then come right back out. We both did it though and thankful that we didn’t have to do one of the three giant pyramids. Vendors are everywhere pushing fake papyrus, statues, shirts, pens postcards. La shokrun means no, thank you. We finished at this site with a camel ride. A rather bumpy, bum numbing experience but since it was only 25 minutes there were no lasting effects. Dinner was at the hotel and we began to interact with the other people on a more casual, get to know you basis. They are a fun group and everyone seems to have some particular talent which is very interesting for conversations and jokes. Ross is known as a marathoner. Not sure yet what my label would be. Bed early since it was another 6 am wake-up call.



Thursday



Up at 6 with another delicious breakfast buffet and then off to the Citadel, a large mosque overlooking the city. Impressive size and it is still a military site as well. By the way we always had a security guard with us on the bus and discreetly in the area when we travelled. He carried a rather impressive black Kalashnikov under his jacket which he would expose every once in awhile. There hasn’t been any hint of trouble or harassment, only waving, smiling people. Even the hawkers are smiling when you say La and they do not give up trying to sell to you until the bus pulls out of the site. Now most of the group can walk right through an area and not buy. One lady still has a bit of trouble not purchasing. Next up was my oh-oh visit. We went to the Egyptian Museum and saw so many neat items as well as all King Tut’s jewellery, coffins and funeral furniture. When I was listening to Hanan talk about one sarcophagus I was able to put my hand on it and even lean on it. Shivers went up my arm and stayed with me long after (and it was not electric wire or anything – there were not even signs saying do not touch except for the King Tut items which were secured behind glass). They are going to build a new museum soon but I hope it doesn’t become as antiseptic as most where you stand back and look. On our way out I insisted Ross get us some Movenpick ice cream – it tasted just like the chocolate mousse Royale from BR at home. It was melting fast in the heat. Ross just drank his water of course. After a few hours free time at the hotel we were off to the Khan Khalili market. Very similar to Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar. Lots of fake everythings. It was a maze of shops and after about a thousand Nos we headed back to the bus and a wonderful Egyptian dinner – pitas with 4 different sauces including tahini, soup – tomato, grilled dolmades, lamb rolls, chicken, beef, peppers, spinach served on a brazier and topped off by cream caramel (just like crème brule. A very busy, interesting, enjoyable day but…


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



22nd October 2012

Your camel rules!
Can't wait to follow in your footsteps one day : ) have an awesome time!
23rd October 2012

My favorite photo, Diane is of you and Ross waving from 'your' camels. Looks like a wonderfully colorful, but with great sand, adventure.
23rd October 2012
Photo 16

camel pic.
Looks like lot of fun. Wish I had those long legs minus the hair of course.
24th October 2012

Fantastic
Hi Diane, I know I'll never get to Africa, so it's just wonderful that you are giving me a chance to do it vicariously. I love your little asides, like the water for ice cream. Such willpower!

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb