Journeys end


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
April 30th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday April 30, 2010
It is the last full day of our Egyptian Wonders Tour and it truly was full of wonders.
Our last day in Cairo begins at 7:30 AM with a buffet breakfast in the Garden Grill. Rick was really tired from the entire ordeal that he chose to skip dinner and catch a little more shut eye.
After breakfast we are to meet with Mo for the last time and our tour of the Cairo Museum and the Hanging Church.
Rick and I visited the Cairo museum early in our tour so he decided to stay back at the hotel. Earlier I thought the museum was of British origins. I was mistaken (MO likes to point out my mistakes and lord knows I made a few on this trip) it is of Egyptian origin.
I must say the museum was significantly different under the tutelage of our learned guide. He was able to point out many interesting facts about each exhibit which vastly improved the experience for one and all. We stayed in the museum for nearly two hours. Since cameras are forbidden in the Cairo Museum I regret I will not be able to share with you the experience.
Our next trip was to the Hanging Church. This Egyptian Orthodox Catholic Church was built between two towers constructed during the time of Roman occupation. The church is actually suspended about 30 meters above ground between the two towers giving the church its common name. The church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and takes St. George as its patron saint.
Unlike the churches in Italy this one is built mostly of wood rather than stone. It has been extensively reconstructed. Throughout the church are small “caskets” where in lie the relics of the saints. It is an impressive display of Christian Orthodoxy in a mostly Muslim country.
Near the church is a crypt below ground level that is devoted to the crypt of the holy family. Legend and history tell the story of the time when the holy family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph were in Egypt and were in hiding. They spent their time in this crypt and were able to survive their ordeal. Unfortunately we did not go into the crypt as there is nothing to see there except a hollow vault.
Back on the bus and now the time has come for the emotional and traditional good bye to the guide. Mo has been an excellent teacher, somewhat patient and sometime not, tour guide who made this a trip of a lifetime. He fostered a relationship with the Isis family, as he often called “This way Isis, take your time but hurry up”.
Hugs from the women and handshakes from the men and secret passing of the tip (about $50 per person give or take a little) and Mo is off for his holiday. He has 20 days before his next tour so he is off home to see his mother (he still lives with her as 32!).
Lunch was at the Garden Café which consisted of various sandwiches. Rick and I were joined by Ellen and Ian as well as Fay and Graham. We sat and chatted and soon separated for a much needed nap.
At 6 PM we all headed to the bar for happy hour where two for one is being served. Ricks joins for a bit but I stay for drinks and laughs. Too soon this time also must come to an end and hugs and handshakes all around with good wishes for all I take my leave of Isis and prepare to go back to Toledo Ohio and my wife (whom I dearly miss) and my job (which I do not miss THAT much)!
Our last night in Cairo, we pack our suitcases for the final time and prepare for a 5:30 AM wakeup call so we can meet the bus at 6:45 AM which will whisk us away to the airport for our 11 hour flight from Cairo to JFK airport in New York.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb