Day five in Egypt


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
March 9th 2010
Published: March 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Days 4 and 5 now passed. Have moved to a new hotel called the Grand Pyramids, very well appointed and rather plush; more like a resort style hotel.

Went back out to the Pyramids and the Sphinx for a more comprehensive tour. I managed to get entry to Khafre’s Pyramid!! What an experience! Negotiating the main corridors and crawl spaces which at times were only about a metre square, very tight and uncomfortable and but exhilarating. Unfortunately cameras are not allowed inside and you are checked from head to toe before going in.. Also again had the opportunity to climb up about 30 metres! something which is normally not allowed!

Also went in to see an ancient boat/barge that was perfectly preserved and intact entombed nearby the Pyramids. It is in incredibly huge and so well preserved, the attention to detail was amazing.

Down to the Sphinx and an amazing array of temples and chamber ruins where Pharaoh’s, Kings and Queens underwent the burial rituals and mummification before taking the main cause way up to the pyramids for burial. Pictures will never do the entire place justice!

Later in the day I headed off to the Museum, again no camera’s inside and they are checked into a security box prior to entry. On his day I would estimate about 2000 people!! Camera’s are allowed in the main garden area where there are some ancient delights to be photographed.

King Tutankhamen’s possessions were incredible! There were so many items.. His solid gold mask and sarcophagus made out of solid gold were the highlights. So many things to see and 4 hours were simply not enough. I went into the Mummy room where I got the chance to see the mummy’s that were extraordinarily well preserved after thousands of years. I had been dreaming of the moment when I would one day see the mummy’s of Ramses II and Seti the First, and here I was... Another unforgettable moment of my life.

Many other items spanning thousands of years were just gob smacking, statues, hundreds of sarcophagus’s made out of alabaster, granite, sandstone and gold... Pillars, obliques, and thousands of ancient tools, jewellery and royal personal possessions such as hair brushes, make up pallets, clothing and precious metals and stones.

Again, Hawkers are a real pain and starting to get on my nerves!! Even using the public rest room at the museum you get asked for money! You have to stand your ground but it is very overwhelming, annoying and intimidating. It really ticks you off but have to remain respectful.. If I was asked about what the downside or cons are of visiting Egypt, this would be the only one thing in bold lettering!!!

For the evening a traditional Egyptian dish of lamb ended yet another incredible day.

Tomorrow I’m taking a more of a “behind the scene’s tour” and going to the famous Khan el Khalili bazaar, and trekking through Islamic Cairo and heading also to the Al Azhar Mosque which is the oldest educational institution on earth!!! Later tonight I’ll boarding an overnight train and finally leaving Cairo for Aswan.

Until the next blog!

Later Alligator!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb