Got my Sudan Visa!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Egyptian MuseumThe Egyptian MuseumThe Egyptian Museum

I think that's the name.. I have a strong tendency towards details..
ok.. my previous entry was a bit long.. haha.. maybe should have some kind of structure.. let's try..

WEATHER
Forgot to talk about the Cairo weather yesterday.. The weather was actually pretty cold when i touched down in the morning, about 22deg.. it gets warmer as the day goes on, to about maybe 28-30 at noon.. and drops back down at night.. the climate is of course dry.. no sweat.. great!

It actually rained for about 5mins this morning while i was in the Sudan Embassy! i was worried it'll rain the whole day.. then i remembered rain here is not like Singapore.. heh..

Overall ok lah.. can still go out in t-shirts.. but i brought my fleece out as well, in case need to stay out late.. today actually quite cold at night.. maybe sub 20..

VISA
Got my Sudan Visa in Cairo this morning.. very expensive tho.. cost is US$100. but they took only less than an hour to issue the visa.. less hassle than getting the letter of reco from the indo embassy! hrm...

PLACES
Decided to go to the Egyptian Museum after getting the Visa.. I'm not a very museum person..
A scene from Islamic CairoA scene from Islamic CairoA scene from Islamic Cairo

This is the tourist side.. The leftmost minaret is the one I climbed..
but they have the actual mummies of the ancient pharoahs on display.. so decided to go for the mummies..

Got a big shock when i arrived at the museum.. SO MANY PEOPLE!! really crazy.. seemed like all the tourists in egypt were at the museum this morning.. Entrance fee was 50LE for adults, 25LE for students.. i flashed my old university card and declared that I'm a student.. and got in for 25LE.. yay!

The museum was filled with ancient artififacts.. mostly various stone carvings used as containers, tomb entrance, sarcophagi, statues etc.. and i confirm i not a museum person.. maybe if i know the history better, i can appreciat the artefacts more.. Went up the second floor, and saw "Mummy Room".. went in and looked at the mummies.. and actually took some photos when I'm not supposed to.. Hope I dun get the mummy's curse..

When i got out, I realized that I've entered the mummy display thru the exit! haha.. there was actually an entrance where you have to buy tickets.. adults 100 LE, students 50LE.. woot.. won some money there again.. and there's a checkpoint where you have to surrender your cameras.. no
Climbing the minaretClimbing the minaretClimbing the minaret

huff huff puff puff.. i can do it!
camera inside.. no wonder the ang mohs were so surprised when I took out my 350D to take the photos.. well, they were using their phone camera anyways.. should have told them there's a 'special' permit.. haha..

Went down to Islamic Cairo in the afternoon.. and stayed there until 930pm! Islamic Cairo is really a nice place.. it's like narrow alleyways, full of shops.. and full of mosques with beautiful minarets.. real interesting place.. went into one of the mosques and requested to climb up the minaret... sure, 10LE entrance fee said the guy with the key.. didn't want to pay, walked out, and asked the nearby shop owner i was chatting with earlier.. he came in with me, key master say still must pay.. so bo bian.. pay.. but it was pretty worth it... the view from on top of the minarets is quite spirit-lifting.. it's a must have experience!

on top of the minaret, you can see all the other mosques in the region.. and it was from there that i marked my direction of travel.. the mosques seem to line in a line, going SW.. prolly cos Mecca is in the NE.. so i decided
The view on topThe view on topThe view on top

See the many mosques all at the SWly direction? Ahh.. dun ask me the names of the mosques..
to walk down that road and see what's to see..

When i crossed the road from the block that i was in.. i realized that where i was was the touristy area.. and a big part of islamic cairo is the non-tourist area.. which is just across the road.. the buildings are not so well-kept.. but still flavourful.. and the people are soooooo friendly!! Went down all the way till it's getting dark.. and decided to back track to the tourist area, where the famous Cafe Fushawy is.. it's where some nobel prize winner (sorry, me not big on details and can't remember the name.. hehe) used to go.. when i reached there, it was like 8pm.. so i ordered some tea.. smoked some sheesha.. and watched the people go by.. until 930pm, and decided to come home.. pretty cool cafe.. but more expensive than the others, due to its prestige.. foreigners and locals go there alike..

PEOPLE
I met so many wonderful people today.. people in the islamic cairo non-tourist region is really friendly.. they chatted me up, not with the intent to persuade me to buy something.. but really, just to chat..

just to mention
Another mosqueAnother mosqueAnother mosque

Very intricate carvings.. I like..
one.. there's this Mr Said, wholesaler of papyrus art.. Invited me to his showroom.. i said i not buying.. he said n'mind..come and take a look.. ok, why not? so i followed him.. into some building.. and up the stairs to the 3rd storey.. the way there was pretty dark and dingy at some points.. got a little worried.. haha.. but when i went into this showroom.. wow.. this is the place to buy papyrus art man.. really really nice.. but i told him i'm on long tour and didn't want to buy anything.. he said it's ok.. and we chat.. and he invited me to sit down and drink tea.. we did.. and chatted more.. next time come back to egypt, will definitely go buy some.. oh, he showed me lots of travel guides..all featured his shop.. quite famous sia..

FOOD
Breakfast - Had some baked macaroni with some glazing on top.. 2LE
Lunch - decided to try this pretty reknowned restaurant.. At-Tabie Ad-Dumayat.. had salad (which is actually something like side dishes) 4LE and shawarma (kebab) 9.5LE.. luxurious lunch..
Dinner - No dinner.. guilty for spending too much for lunch.. haha.. actually not hungry lah.. so just
Kids ShotKids ShotKids Shot

They put up their index finger.. cos i was counting 1.. 2... 3.. with my fingers and they decided 1 is the coolest photo gesture..
bought a bread roll from one of the bakeries in the evening.. 1LE.. but super yummy..

Oh oh! I also had the best ice cream i've ever had in my life.. there's this sweet shop.. El Abd i think.. near Midan Orapi.. it's like a mix between gelato and turkish ice cream.. damn thick.. i had mango and chocolate flavour.. 2 scoops.. 2.5LE.. nearly walked back to buy another one..

COMING UP...
Tomorrow I'll spend a whole day at the pyramids.. the 3 pyramids at Giza.. and the stepped pyramids at Saqqara and the necropolis and Memphis..

Probably no entry tomorrow night as well.. as when I get back from Giza, i'll have to go for my oivenight train ride to Luxor.. 1st class 56LE.. only seats.. no sleeper.. sleeper cost US$60! so i guess the choice is clear based on the price difference..

Next update.. at Luxor!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Another scene from Islamic CairoAnother scene from Islamic Cairo
Another scene from Islamic Cairo

Getting dark soon.. street lamps are on..
Ahwa Fushawy Ahwa Fushawy
Ahwa Fushawy

Nice place to relax? maybe not.. this shot is taken when there's nobody squeezing to and fro in both directions between the 2 sitting area...
Relaxing at the end of the dayRelaxing at the end of the day
Relaxing at the end of the day

With my pot of chai, with mint leaves.. and my mint+banana sheesha.. oh! the white thing you see on the plate is the hero of the day.. a 2LE super glue i bought to glue my sandal sole back.. it was flapping the entire afternoon...


20th March 2007

Cool blog and pics
Really enjoyed reading your blog entry in Egypt. So natural and spontaneous, I wasn't bored one bit. Can't wait to read about your trip to Luxor! Enjoooooooooy
21st March 2007

Thank you!
Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm glad you enjoyed it.. Watch out guys.. i'm gonna write a 10page description for every corner i go to now.. ;p

Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 14; qc: 78; dbt: 0.186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb