Cape Verde


Advertisement
Cape Verde's flag
Africa » Cape Verde » Santiago
January 27th 2016
Published: January 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Santiago island in Cape Verde (CV) , one of 10 islands once ruled by Portugal but independent since 1975. We are now firmly in the Tropics..300 miles from Senegal on the west African coast. CV is a friendly place pop. 128,000 with 58% of the population under 50 years. There are so many young people that children go to school in shifts the first from 07.30 to 13.00 and the second from 13.30 to 19.00. Could be a good idea for London! There is 25% unemployment but still very low crime rate this our guide thought was because no one goes hungry. They give food but not money to the unemployed. Most young people who may have gone to one of 4 universities on the island will move abroad to work. The climate is tropical with bananas, papaya and every fruit and veg imaginable growing. I had hoped to load some of the many photos i took on the island but I am on the ship's Internet and I can't use the WiFi connection to transfer from my camera and have tablet connected at the same time. So the only one I have was taken of us this evening.

On board we had a wonderful Welsh opera singer entertaining us at the sail away party tonight. We are now on our way to Fortenza in Brazil but won't get there until Sunday. So for the couple of days it's back to all the activities plus now sunbathing and the occasional dip in one of the pools...it's a hard life!

Advertisement



31st January 2016
Enjoying a pre-dinner drink as the warm tropical  sun  goes down

Can you see my comments
Have looked at Cape Verdi several times for a holiday , lots of review say it's a building site !
1st February 2016
Enjoying a pre-dinner drink as the warm tropical  sun  goes down

Cape Verde
Yes there is a lot of construction. But apparently the English holiday village is OK. Good weather but I wouldn't want to stay long...there are nicer places xx

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 37; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb