Botswana


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
April 5th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our first day with our new guides doesn't start too well - we miss a few hours after heading to the Namibian border instead of Botswana. This is followed by three hours trying to battle our way through the chaos at a flooded crossing over the Choebe River. However, this is all part of the experience; delays are part of the African culture! After stopping off at a quiet campsite (most of it being flooded; we are warned of not straying from our immediate area owing to the threat of hippos and crocodiles!), we head to a site called Elephant Sands. We are located in a semi arid area on the outer part off the Kalahari Desert; our campsite at Elephant Sands is located aside a watering hole favoured by elephants so we are hopeful of some visits. We are not dissapointed; the first elephant is a 'small' bull elephant with a damaged tusk. He drinks from the watering hole and it appears that he is interested in the small pool at our campsite (this being an ingenious addition as the elephants love drinking from the small pool - like a swimming pool but the size of a bath!) Most of our group vacate the pool area but Stompe and I hang around noticing that the elephant appeared interested in the pool. We await an hour or so whilst the elephant wanders around; he then wanders towards us very slowly and cautiously to within around 4m to 5m. We are motionless as the elephant eyes check us up and down. He comes within inches of drinking from the pool but is spooked by something and steps back and then disappears. About half an hour later, a big bull elephant stomps towards the pool and drinks from it without hesitation; it appears that he has no fear with his size! These are amazing experiences although I preferred the visit of the first elephant as he was obviously wary of approaching us and you could sense his emotions and body language; Stompe and I being frozen in our seats not knowing what was to happen next (hoping that the elephant didn't charge!) We finish what has turned out to be great day with a campfire and some songs - both Stompe and Chris are very capable guitarists. The next night is spent at another quite arid campsite but with a great bar. We had been joined by new travellers at Victoria Falls so it seemed a good time to have a 'party'. A few drinks turns into shots and dancing on the bar - I spend most of the evening wearing a mohican and along with Emma and Wendy are the last to get to bed (you might have noticed that photos are beginning to emerge on Facebook!). Sore heads greet us the next day as we head across the border into South Africa.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb