From Dunes To Deltas


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Okavango Delta
February 5th 2009
Published: February 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the tallest dunes in the world in Namibia we headed through to the Etosha Pan for some game drives and then it was off to Botswana.

First we were off to the Okavango Delta for some bush camping near a beautiful swimming hole to doze off to sleep to the sound of roaring lions, mokoro rides (they are Botswanian canoes which are pushed along by poles in a gondala style) and for game walks.

I was well impressed with the game drives but they are nothing on a bush walk in search of animals lead by your guide (our guide was Shakes) armed with his magic stick that seems to ward off any danger - well it worked for us. We saw leopards, zebras, elephants, impalas, hippos, giraffes, baboons and snakes - heard the lions but didn't see them!

Then after our time in the delta with our amazing guides and polers, who not only got us through the delta but taught us some great campfire tunes (you have to try the Botswanian Frog Dance on the next night out at the club), it was off to the Chobe NAtional Park for a river cruise to see more hippos and elephants and some crocodiles (no swimming in that river).

We have just finished our overland tour, where we had a great group of people, at Victoria Falls and tomorrow we start our train ride across Zambia for Tanzania. Back to just the two of us travelling together, which is nice. Only 3 weeks to go and then it is back to London..... hopefully it will still be snowing and I can ski to work!

Again sorry but no photos. Due to a lack of any form of decent internet connection we'll have to wait until we get back home to put up any photos.

Advertisement



5th February 2009

u guys sound like ur having sooo much fun , travelling to places i've never heard of !! we miss u , look forward to sseing u soon for the stories and photos xxx
6th February 2009

You will love it in the Delta. We got woken up by the lions at 4am its pretty amazing. xx

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb