Background: Colombia was one of the three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others are Ecuador and Venezuela). A 40-year insurgent campaign to overthrow the Colombian Government escalated during the 1990s, undergirded in part by funds from the drug trade. Although the violence is deadly and large swaths of the countryside are under guerrilla influence, the movement lacks the military strength or popular support necessary to overthrow the government. An anti-insurgent army of paramilitaries has grown to several thousand strong in recent years, challenging the insurgents for control of territory and the drug trade, and also the government's ability to exert its dominion over rural areas. While Bogota steps up efforts to reassert government control throughout the country, neighboring countries worry about the violence spilling over their borders.
Blogs from Barranquilla
Latest Blogs from Barranquilla
- May 30th 2012 Tayrona Article - published April 2012
by Words: 18 Photos: 0
- May 8th 2012 Colombia the only risk is wanting to stay
by Words: 741 Photos: 0
- February 18th 2012 Carnaval de Barranquilla
by Words: 250 Photos: 6
- February 18th 2012 Frank's dancing at the Barranquilla's Carnival, the second after Rio de Janeiro
by Words: 2050 Photos: 90
- January 30th 2012 Garabato
by Words: 575 Photos: 30
- August 20th 2011 Zaterdag 20 augustus: Patricia en Mark zijn precies één jaar getrouwd.
by Words: 1163 Photos: 13
- August 19th 2011 Vrijdag 19 augustus: een kalme dag in Barranquilla.
by Words: 692 Photos: 7
- August 17th 2011 Woensdag 17 augustus: nog enkele bezoekjes in Barranquilla.
by Words: 1334 Photos: 15
- August 16th 2011 Dinsdag 16 augustus: BBQ in Barranquilla.
by Words: 615 Photos: 8
- August 14th 2011 Zondag in Barranquilla: schoolfeest in het Collegio Sagrado Corazon.
by Words: 1330 Photos: 15
- August 12th 2011 Interessante bezoeken in Barranquilla.
by Words: 1569 Photos: 17
- August 11th 2011 Eerste (rust)dag in Barranquilla.
by Words: 860 Photos: 7
- August 10th 2011 Via Madrid en Bogota naar Barranquilla.
by Words: 768 Photos: 8
- February 22nd 2011 Taganga Diving Photos
by Words: 232 Photos: 25
- August 24th 2010 Foto's van Det in verband met het huwelijk van Mark en Patricia.
by Words: 20 Photos: 19
- April 27th 2010 The Final Hurdle?
by Words: 935 Photos: 9
- April 7th 2010 Colombia - Barranquilla
by Words: 7 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2010 Barranquilla
by Words: 2875 Photos: 4
- February 15th 2010 El Carnaval de Barranquilla
by Words: 34 Photos: 5
- February 11th 2010 Colombia and Carnaval
by Words: 302 Photos: 2