Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Ramsay Street
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Ramsay Street
Latest Blogs from Ramsay Street
- August 24th 2012 Victoria: Creature Comforts
by Words: 2697 Photos: 44
- January 19th 2012 Ramsay Street rambles and ramblings
by Words: 1324 Photos: 0
- May 4th 2011 Melbourne
by Words: 534 Photos: 27
- May 2nd 2011 Neighbours...... Everybody needs good Neighbours!!
by Words: 669 Photos: 0
- December 9th 2010 The Melbourne photos
by Words: 9 Photos: 126
- December 8th 2010 Australia - Moving in
by Words: 554 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2010 Everybody needs good Neighbours...
by Words: 404 Photos: 0
- March 28th 2010 Australia Part 2 - Melbourne
by Words: 2734 Photos: 78
- February 8th 2010 Night out in Byron Bay
by Words: 1 Photos: 11
- July 30th 2009 "Neighbours, everybody loves good neighbours..."
by Words: 699 Photos: 25
- January 11th 2009 Goodbye Australia
by Words: 268 Photos: 0
- June 19th 2008 The big one - the Neighbours tour!!
by Words: 447 Photos: 8
- June 7th 2008 Preparing to leave Melbourne
by Words: 105 Photos: 1
- February 28th 2008 G'day from Down Under
by Words: 988 Photos: 11
- February 27th 2008 The Apostles Go Round The Twist
by Words: 765 Photos: 4
- February 26th 2008 Melbourne city
by Words: 424 Photos: 21
- January 21st 2008 Free Internet! Wohoo!
by Words: 2205 Photos: 9
- December 30th 2007 Entry 12: Christmas 2007
by Words: 1435 Photos: 16
- December 18th 2007 Neighbours: Ramsay Street
by Words: 281 Photos: 4
- December 17th 2007 back on the holiday road
by Words: 266 Photos: 0