Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Carlton North
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Carlton North
Latest Blogs from Carlton North
- March 1st 2010 Melbs "the place to be"
by Words: 414 Photos: 7
- February 27th 2010 Melbourne, Australia the place to be...
by Words: 44 Photos: 23
- March 17th 2009 2009- Back in Melbourne
by Words: 687 Photos: 20
- March 9th 2009 Final entry
by Words: 644 Photos: 10
- February 23rd 2009 visit from the parents.. sustianble living.. and much much more
by Words: 407 Photos: 0
- December 22nd 2008 Countdown to Christmas...
by Words: 605 Photos: 7
- November 14th 2008 Doctors...airports...and more!
by Words: 715 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2008 Down Under!
by Words: 431 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2008 HAAAAAAaaapy NEW YEAR!!!!
by Words: 1191 Photos: 13
- December 21st 2007 ilovemelbourne.com
by Words: 1208 Photos: 14
- April 18th 2007 musings from down unda
by Words: 591 Photos: 0
- March 22nd 2007 the sun might rise tomorrow
by Words: 230 Photos: 0
- March 11th 2007 Coast to Coast. It's the most.
by Words: 1477 Photos: 28
- March 4th 2007 Funky Melbourne...
by Words: 143 Photos: 22
- February 10th 2007 no news
by Words: 200 Photos: 0
- February 8th 2007 baby breakdown
by Words: 854 Photos: 0
- December 22nd 2006 Happy Christmas! :-)
by Words: 15 Photos: 1