Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Glenelg
Latest Blogs from Glenelg
- February 9th 2014 Change of blog
by Words: 55 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2013 1000 Paper Cranes stuffed in a bag!
by Words: 49 Photos: 1
- September 27th 2013 Paper cranes ready to go!
by Words: 13 Photos: 2
- September 25th 2013 Almost packed...just sit on the case kids!
by Words: 16 Photos: 1
- September 13th 2013 Trip Planning
by Words: 56 Photos: 1
- May 25th 2013 Adelaide
by Words: 189 Photos: 0
- October 5th 2012 Adelaide – Fruity-Winepack-Abend
by Words: 45 Photos: 3
- October 1st 2012 Fruit Picking in Mildura - 1. Job
by Words: 308 Photos: 6
- September 23rd 2012 Adelaide
by Words: 125 Photos: 3
- February 19th 2012 Adelaide
by Words: 229 Photos: 11
- January 25th 2012 Stalking Pete...
by Words: 900 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2012 Extending the family in Adelaide!
by Words: 1105 Photos: 41
- May 1st 2011 Adelaide to Sydney
by Words: 535 Photos: 44
- April 15th 2011 Adelaide - April 2011
by Words: 147 Photos: 0
- March 19th 2011 St. Paddy's, Birthday parties, crashing parties and wine tasting in Adelaide
by Words: 709 Photos: 21
- March 17th 2011 14.3. Delphine und Chillen in Glenelg
by Words: 342 Photos: 37
- March 7th 2011 Day 29
by Words: 188 Photos: 0
- March 6th 2011 Day 28
by Words: 181 Photos: 0
- March 5th 2011 Day 27
by Words: 663 Photos: 0
- February 15th 2011 February 16th Adelaide
by Words: 415 Photos: 6