Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Surfers Paradise
Blogs from Surfers Paradise
Latest Blogs from Surfers Paradise
- November 9th 2013 Surfing in paradise
by Words: 239 Photos: 1
- September 14th 2013 Radio silence
by Words: 465 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2013 50th Birthday Weekend
by Words: 162 Photos: 24
- February 4th 2013 Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia!!
by Words: 510 Photos: 26
- November 5th 2012 Surfers Round 3: The Guys
by Words: 289 Photos: 7
- September 9th 2012 New Zealand last day, Australia Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane
by Words: 875 Photos: 14
- August 11th 2012 Aussie Update
by Words: 289 Photos: 28
- July 19th 2012 Australia - Surfers Paradise and Sand Castles
by Words: 727 Photos: 44
- April 22nd 2012 Surfers Paradise
by Words: 441 Photos: 0
- March 23rd 2012 Day 3 - Wet n Wild
by Words: 564 Photos: 2
- March 23rd 2012 Day 5
by Words: 136 Photos: 1
- March 23rd 2012 Day 6 - Dreamworld
by Words: 361 Photos: 4
- March 23rd 2012 Day 7 - Shopping & Sky Point
by Words: 230 Photos: 3
- March 22nd 2012 Day 1
by Words: 274 Photos: 2
- November 26th 2011 The weather has turned...
by Words: 1010 Photos: 22
- April 14th 2011 Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast
by Words: 1031 Photos: 0
- April 14th 2011 A Week in the Sun.
by Words: 825 Photos: 0
- April 4th 2011 The Gold Coast - cups o' coffee and cornflakes!!
by Words: 819 Photos: 16
- December 29th 2010 Rain, Rain, go away!
by Words: 463 Photos: 4
- November 3rd 2010 3rd November
by Words: 247 Photos: 0