Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Airlie Beach
Blogs from Airlie Beach
Latest Blogs from Airlie Beach
- November 14th 2013 Day 18 Tall ships and more snorkelling
by Words: 1138 Photos: 9
- November 13th 2013 Day 17 Day in the Sun
by Words: 306 Photos: 8
- October 30th 2013 Airlie Beach to Lake Awoonga
by Words: 1872 Photos: 12
- October 25th 2013 Elbow licking good!
by Words: 1617 Photos: 18
- August 22nd 2013 New ground
by Words: 1371 Photos: 7
- August 17th 2013 Cruising in company and Airlie arrival
by Words: 2046 Photos: 19
- July 18th 2013 East Coast Stop Eight - Airlie Beach and the Whitsunday Islands
by Words: 2766 Photos: 98
- June 27th 2013 A very happy Unbirthday
by Words: 1159 Photos: 16
- June 27th 2013 Airlie Beach and sailing the Whitsunday Islands
by Words: 2052 Photos: 8
- May 13th 2013 Perth & Queensland
by Words: 1848 Photos: 8
- April 12th 2013 Airlie Beach & Whitsundays
by Words: 1020 Photos: 55
- March 31st 2013 Waltzing on the Whitsundays and finding Nemo on the Reef
by Words: 550 Photos: 11
- March 30th 2013 Australien kann auch Sonnenschein...
by Words: 966 Photos: 3
- February 28th 2013 Whitsundays - Avatar Experience!
by Words: 1050 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2013 Airlie Beach and the Great Barrier Reef!
by Words: 2032 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2013 Day 34: Road trip to Airlie Beach
by Words: 234 Photos: 4
- January 11th 2013 13o dia - Airlie Beach, a piscina...
by Words: 228 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2012 Feeling like we had won the lottery cruising round the Whitsunday Islands
by Words: 1025 Photos: 0
- December 21st 2012 Koala Hunt
by Words: 744 Photos: 0
- December 13th 2012 Airlie Beach, QLD
by Words: 760 Photos: 28