Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Newcastle
Blogs from Newcastle
Latest Blogs from Newcastle
- April 1st 2013 Countdown - getting close!!
by Words: 37 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2013 Family visit Medowie, NSW
by Words: 706 Photos: 23
- January 26th 2013 Celebrating Straya Day...but not in an ocean bar
by Words: 1422 Photos: 41
- October 4th 2012 Naeshka's Graduation
by Words: 68 Photos: 6
- September 11th 2012 11 September 2012
by Words: 295 Photos: 0
- September 11th 2012 14 August - 11 September 2012 (photos)
by Words: 2 Photos: 39
- September 10th 2012 10 September 2012
by Words: 255 Photos: 0
- June 2nd 2012 Spannende Tage und das Ende meines Auslandssemesters
by Words: 2022 Photos: 28
- May 18th 2012 SCUBA Certificate und Dinnerparty die 2.
by Words: 1256 Photos: 12
- May 8th 2012 Remontée de la Côte Est (Newcastle à Forster)
by Words: 970 Photos: 37
- April 30th 2012 Fotoalbum
by Words: 31 Photos: 25
- April 10th 2012 Newcastle
by Words: 960 Photos: 6
- March 7th 2012 Newcastle and Allworth
by Words: 327 Photos: 13
- February 19th 2012 Am siebten Tag sollst du ruhen...
by Words: 892 Photos: 28
- February 17th 2012 Wach bleiben ...
by Words: 342 Photos: 11
- February 16th 2012 ... die kleinen Unterschiede
by Words: 296 Photos: 0
- January 11th 2012 The Grey Hound Experience
by Words: 598 Photos: 1
- January 1st 2012 Wine Tasting, Christmas Shopping and Carols in Newcastle
by Words: 725 Photos: 19
- December 14th 2011 Gap Year here we come!
by Words: 127 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2011 Apologies
by Words: 172 Photos: 0