Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Bega Valley
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bega Valley
Latest Blogs from Bega Valley
- December 13th 2010 the crickets are roaring
by Words: 356 Photos: 57
- June 7th 2010 clutching at straws....
by Words: 413 Photos: 28
- December 22nd 2009 What sort of cheapskate uses blog for xmas card?...TWICE!!
by Words: 1093 Photos: 10
- September 9th 2009 COLD? IT WAS BLOODY NEAR FRIESAN!!
by Words: 2044 Photos: 17
- July 8th 2009 KICKSTARTING THE COBWEBLOG
by Words: 2349 Photos: 6
- January 19th 2009 Nærkontakt med det australske farmerliv...
by Words: 541 Photos: 34
- February 22nd 2008 bega
by Words: 293 Photos: 0
- December 10th 2007 The world according to Ellie & Aisha
by Words: 899 Photos: 28
- March 20th 2007 Merimbula 2007
by Words: 235 Photos: 42
- February 13th 2007 Heading South...
by Words: 222 Photos: 22