Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Eye
Latest Blogs from Eye
- February 10th 2009 Two weeks to go....
by Words: 378 Photos: 0
- October 23rd 2008 Some more time out...
by Words: 2 Photos: 1
- October 11th 2008 Suffolk blues and counting my blessings
by Words: 280 Photos: 1
- October 7th 2008 Some time out...
by Words: 42 Photos: 1
- May 16th 2008 Back home!
by Words: 336 Photos: 30
- September 28th 2007 Going... Going... Gone!
by Words: 583 Photos: 23
- September 14th 2007 Back again... only few more weeks to go!
by Words: 407 Photos: 16
- July 27th 2007 A quick Suffolk fix again...
by Words: 265 Photos: 1
- July 15th 2007 Back to the Parents...
by Words: 429 Photos: 8
- June 9th 2007 Getting that writing done!
by Words: 698 Photos: 33
- May 18th 2007 More writing, more sorting, more country walks...
by Words: 1112 Photos: 15
- April 30th 2007 Back for some more of the British countryside in bloom!
by Words: 451 Photos: 27
- April 19th 2007 Few more days in Suffolk....
by Words: 1373 Photos: 24
- April 8th 2007 Easter Sunday
by Words: 140 Photos: 14
- March 29th 2007 A quick dash....
by Words: 235 Photos: 1
- February 7th 2007 Travel Plans
by Words: 420 Photos: 3
- January 9th 2007 Personal Journey - The Big Clear Out
by Words: 224 Photos: 3
- December 29th 2006 Celebrating Unemployment... and Christmas!
by Words: 60 Photos: 2