Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Vauxhall
Blogs from Vauxhall
Latest Blogs from Vauxhall
- September 20th 2011 The Globe Mysteries, Imperial War Museum, Lunch in Kensington
by Words: 912 Photos: 6
- January 19th 2011 My fairy tale ends in leaving London.
by Words: 49 Photos: 5
- October 27th 2010 Brunswick House coffee rooms
by Words: 613 Photos: 25
- July 26th 2010 4 and a half weeks to go, my legs are sore...
by Words: 43 Photos: 0
- February 21st 2010 And back at home
by Words: 38 Photos: 1
- May 30th 2009 Change of continent
by Words: 692 Photos: 0
- May 27th 2009 Secret Number One
by Words: 645 Photos: 0
- September 22nd 2008 Welcome to England
by Words: 968 Photos: 6
- September 9th 2008 Londres
by Words: 654 Photos: 1
- April 16th 2008 what happened next ?
by Words: 1947 Photos: 11
- October 14th 2007 cause were leavin on a jet plane!!!!!
by Words: 58 Photos: 4
- November 4th 2006 Guy Fawkes Night
by Words: 814 Photos: 6
- April 28th 2006 My first 2 weeks in the UK
by Words: 878 Photos: 1
- April 18th 2006 My second home
by Words: 38 Photos: 0
- July 20th 2005 Toilet
by Words: 71 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2005 Stuck in the office, counting the days
by Words: 61 Photos: 0