Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Stratford
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Stratford
Latest Blogs from Stratford
- January 8th 2013 The Departed
by Words: 311 Photos: 0
- September 15th 2012 Paralimpia
by Words: 992 Photos: 6
- August 29th 2012 'Mo-ing for Gold!'
by Words: 1132 Photos: 33
- August 12th 2012 Olympic London Baby!!
by Words: 991 Photos: 13
- August 5th 2012 Olimpia
by Words: 853 Photos: 5
- October 4th 2011 The Olympic Walk
by Words: 450 Photos: 3
- September 4th 2011 This is the start of the rest of my life.........
by Words: 195 Photos: 0
- June 25th 2011 Harry Potter, Musicals, and one happy Mary!
by Words: 392 Photos: 4
- June 6th 2010 Proud to be a Londoner
by Words: 72 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2010 Londondindon
by Words: 330 Photos: 13
- May 25th 2009 London: Shoes
by Words: 746 Photos: 0
- October 22nd 2008 "I was born to travel and write verse."
by Words: 502 Photos: 0
- August 17th 2008 Day 10: Stratford Upon Avon
by Words: 390 Photos: 55