The Olympic Walk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Stratford
October 4th 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As London residents, we both look forward to the London Olympics in 2011. We decided to do the Olympic Walk on Thursday, 22 September. The walk was due to start from West Ham station. Many people were waiting at the station when we arrived. The London, Guide, Harry, started collecting the money at 2:15. There weren’t very many shops around West Ham station. And, the only public toilet was out of order. He told us that West Ham Station will be the gateway station for the Olympic spectators as well as Stratford, and that’s why he decided West Ham was the gathering point for the walkers.

After strolling through the residential areas of Newham Borough, he took us to the footpath leading to Olympic stadium. The foot path is the route where the Olympic spectators will use next year. There were signposts, the clock featured sculptures installed on the surface of the footpath along the Sewage systems of Lea Valley. It was rather stink (because of the old sewer) along the course, but the sight of the Olympic stadium and Olympic village made me excited. Harry’s talks included the ancient Olympic game held before the time of Christ, modern games in Much Wenlock near Shrewsbury, Athens and the last Olympics held in London in 1948.

We walked past the canal and the lanes along Pudding Mill Lane to the viewpoint of the Olympic stadium, swimming pool, basketball stadium, Olympic village, and Gherkin style sculpture. Harry told us that Olympic stadium was completed 10 months earlier than scheduled, more than 17,000 athletes from 250 countries will perform the sporting competitions and performances will be held at various places, e.g. tennis at Wimbledon, Yacht race in Falmouth, fencing in Woolwich, and football around the country. And the final will be at Wembley. He added that spectators are able to climb up the Gherkin like tower to overlook the performances at the Olympic stadium. They can use the lift on the way up, but have to use the spiral staircase which is exposed to the wind and rain on the way down.

After the walking tour, we popped in the Café’s balcony and overlooked the Olympic site. Constructions were still carried on, and we saw a number of futuristic and stylish buildings added to the former industrial areas. There was an amazing view of the Olympic stadium and Gherkin like tower from Pudding Mill Lane’s platform. Apart from Evening Standard, many editors write relatively critical and negative comments and prospects about London’s Olympics. I’m sure the Olympics will help to generate job opportunities and boost the economy in the surrounding areas and all of London. We will come back there next spring.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb