Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Heathrow Airport
Latest Blogs from Heathrow Airport
- February 21st 2014 Elective D1 - 21st February
by Words: 270 Photos: 2
- January 24th 2014 The adventure begins.....
by Words: 91 Photos: 0
- December 21st 2013 Airports, Airports, Airports
by Words: 792 Photos: 0
- December 14th 2013 Tattoo and closing remarks
by Words: 60 Photos: 2
- December 6th 2013 Heathrow-Christchurch and so the long Journey begins!
by Words: 101 Photos: 3
- November 12th 2013 BFA
by Words: 89 Photos: 0
- November 4th 2013 Ready, steady ......
by Words: 10 Photos: 2
- November 3rd 2013 On my way .......
by Words: 41 Photos: 2
- July 31st 2013 First Entry- off to Peru!
by Words: 333 Photos: 0
- July 31st 2013 On your marks, get set, GO!!
by Words: 24 Photos: 0
- July 20th 2013 one flight down! the big one to go......
by Words: 52 Photos: 0
- July 12th 2013 Day 1 continued...
by Words: 390 Photos: 1
- June 29th 2013 Almost there...
by Words: 55 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2013 Completing our 78 Day Cruise
by Words: 562 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2013 The England & Scotland Experience - Rostad Tours
by Words: 237 Photos: 0
- May 19th 2013 initiating relationships
by Words: 768 Photos: 2
- May 4th 2013 Day 1: I'm going on an adventure.
by Words: 357 Photos: 1
- April 18th 2013 Heathrow.....exotic holiday destination number one!!
by Words: 291 Photos: 1
- April 8th 2013 Return London Heathrow Transfer
by Words: 105 Photos: 2
- March 13th 2013 Heathrow Airport Transfer
by Words: 245 Photos: 1