Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Heathrow Airport
Latest Blogs from Heathrow Airport
- May 19th 2013 initiating relationships
by Words: 768 Photos: 2
- May 4th 2013 Day 1: I'm going on an adventure.
by Words: 357 Photos: 1
- April 18th 2013 Heathrow.....exotic holiday destination number one!!
by Words: 291 Photos: 1
- April 8th 2013 Return London Heathrow Transfer
by Words: 105 Photos: 2
- March 13th 2013 Heathrow Airport Transfer
by Words: 245 Photos: 1
- December 31st 2012 finally the beginning!
by Words: 89 Photos: 0
- December 10th 2012 Sleeping overnight at Heathrow Airport
by Words: 630 Photos: 0
- December 10th 2012 Heathrow to College Station, Texas
by Words: 114 Photos: 1
- October 31st 2012 Ballinasloe to London
by Words: 805 Photos: 3
- September 29th 2012 Anger Management
by Words: 1311 Photos: 6
- August 6th 2012 Cheerio from Heathrow
by Words: 453 Photos: 2
- August 5th 2012 So far so good
by Words: 173 Photos: 1
- July 19th 2012 Safe landing in London
by Words: 968 Photos: 1
- July 5th 2012 The middle of the day or the middle of the night?
by Words: 54 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2012 Good Morning World,
by Words: 12 Photos: 2
- May 5th 2012 The First Leg of my Journey
by Words: 733 Photos: 0
- April 16th 2012 On the way to california!!!!!
by Words: 286 Photos: 10
- April 16th 2012 Like a rat out of Hull....
by Words: 151 Photos: 2
- April 13th 2012 Route Map
by Words: 277 Photos: 0
- April 8th 2012 Touchdown
by Words: 226 Photos: 0