no se


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 25th 2005
Published: July 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

que... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 302, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

san juan chamunalsan juan chamunal
san juan chamunal

a mayan village just north of san cristobal...this church...wow. they kicked the catholic priests out in the 1800´s and have used it for saint worship ever since. inside, the floor is covered in green pine straw and candles. candles and electric flashing lights everywhere...like a carnival. there are like thirty altars devoted to different saints...no chairs, they just kneel on the floor and pray aloud, and offer rum and different sodas and flowers as offerings and burn lots of incense. so otherworldly...an overload for the senses.
old lady with a chicken in san cristobalold lady with a chicken in san cristobal
old lady with a chicken in san cristobal

shows how even in the city there will be women walking barefoot down the street holding a chicken. it shows the contrast...the wealthy and the very very poor...and so the world goes. but i have to admit...it did look really funny...the chicken was just looking around...
palenque!palenque!
palenque!

one of the major mayan ruins in mexico...this is the temple of the sun and the temple of inscriptions.
painted reliefpainted relief
painted relief

that got the red dye from a particular type of bug, originally most of the structures were red.
the ball courtthe ball court
the ball court

where they played for life or death...



20th May 2005

I miss you so much! I love to be able to travel, through your pics. Thank you for being such a beautiful and interesting friend! Come home you travelin' gal.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 15; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb