no se


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 25th 2005
Published: July 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

que... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 302, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

the waterthe water
the water

a little close'up for you.
santiago de atitlansantiago de atitlan
santiago de atitlan

another lakeside village, i went again to go to the market and buy you guys some presents, this time with patti and louisa.
a girla girl
a girl

in santiago.
the marketthe market
the market

this the beginning of the locals market, notice the guy on the right, with the white capri pants, these are the pants worn by the older males there, often with beautiful and colorful embroidery, symbolizing age, family, or village...or so i was told by one old man named clementine. they were actually introduced in the colonial times, the missionaries wanting the men to clothe themselves.
dudesdudes
dudes

a bunch of older men chatting, i watched them check out women.
patti and louisapatti and louisa
patti and louisa

in the market...eating.
locals marketlocals market
locals market

towards the end of the day, many had already packed up and left.
huipilshuipils
huipils

these are the amazing garments that mayan women weave and then embroider with patterns that denote what village they are from and their social class within the community. a very detailed huipil will take up to, and possibly more, six months to make.
water balloonwater balloon
water balloon

so this picture isn´t really significant for any other reason than that it was taken just seconds before someone dropped a water balloon on me. guess it was sort of funny.
santiago docksantiago dock
santiago dock

two girls were hanging out and talking on the dock as the sun was setting...pretty.
my roommy room
my room

oh...so this was my home for a month in san pedro.
the floorthe floor
the floor

yeah...where the floor and the wall meet in my room, they were such nice colors together.
my showermy shower
my shower

yep, those are electrical wires, every hot water shower in central america is like this, the water is heated as is passes through the top...maybe not so safe...but after months of cold showers it is well worth the risk.
san pedrosan pedro
san pedro

another view from my balcony, that was actually my neighbors open air kitchen on the right.
chocobananochocobanano
chocobanano

brilliant. a banana covered in chocolate and peanuts and then frozen. i am bringing this back with me. these, along with my peanut butter bread will make me rich.
god is lovegod is love
god is love

while i was taking a couple of photos of this one, two older ladies walked around the corner and were so nice...we talked for awhile, they were so interested in everything about me and my camera and why i was taking a picture of hanging laundry. one of them was balancing a huge basket on her head.
school in san pedroschool in san pedro
school in san pedro

this is the classroom of the school for kids and adults with disabilities that i volunteered at while in san pedro.
edilmaedilma
edilma

one of the students, she loved music so much...it was so hard to get her away from the cd player..always wanting to dance and listen to a song called ¨juanita¨
raquelraquel
raquel

my favorite...she is hearing impaired, but so smart, often pretending she doesn´t understand just so she doesn´t have to do something. she is so freakin´cute.
classclass
class

that is lencho holding a project up that i helped manuel, the guy on the left and my other favorite, make that day. lencho was a lady killer, on my first day he kicked me in the shin and then said i was pretty.
manuelmanuel
manuel

he´s dancing in this picture...he was so incredibly nice and polite, before the center opened he would just roam the streets. if he would have passed you, you would have assummed he was crazy and on drugs...but he just needs some postive attention and direction and lots of love. makes me think twice about the people i meet in the streets of atlanta.



20th May 2005

I miss you so much! I love to be able to travel, through your pics. Thank you for being such a beautiful and interesting friend! Come home you travelin' gal.

Tot: 0.46s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 4; qc: 46; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb