no se


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 25th 2005
Published: July 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

que... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 302, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

my roommy room
my room

so that you can imagine where i am sleeping for the next month...
the kitchenthe kitchen
the kitchen

so you can imagine where i will be cooking, and check out that beautiful stove...a very pretty kitchen.
olimpiaolimpia
olimpia

the lady of the house, she is hilarious, the funniest guatemalan i have met. she runs the place...hostal don diego. the window opens up to the courtyard and the living room is to the right.
and meand me
and me

olimpia wanted to take a photograph of me too, i was chopping...
for robfor rob
for rob

look rob...a skate shop!
the dentistthe dentist
the dentist

i went with a friend to the school that she is volunteering at and we took twelve of the kids to the dentist that day. even the dentist in guatemala is colorful and i love the be quiet sign from like fifty years ago...
vilma, margarita, and annavilma, margarita, and anna
vilma, margarita, and anna

three of the kids...it is a special school for kids that have to work in the morning at the market because their parents can´t afford for them not to...they are all pretty incredible.
more of the kids, teenagersmore of the kids, teenagers
more of the kids, teenagers

the office was better than i expected...with really up-to-date equipment, but still very different. it only costs about $3-8 to get a tooth pulled here and less to get a filling. but then you are left with gold teeth.
marline and imarline and i
marline and i

discussing what to do...she was going to pay for all of it, but after each of them having consultations she realized that it would be very expensive, since the kids needed so much work done. one kid needed: two excractions, 15 fillings, 2 scrapings?, and two separate cleanings. they ate candy on the way there, at the office, and after the visit. they just don´t care about their teeth, only when they hurt. they are sugar addicts, but don´t know what it does, they did not know that coke had sugar. so she is going to pay half and try and raise the rest.
fuentes georginasfuentes georginas
fuentes georginas

near xela there are some beautiful hot springs high up in the mountains...they actually weren´t that hot, a bit lukewarm. it was incredible though, the clouds enveloped the whole area and steam floated above...creating a magical, tropical haven.
pretty...pretty...
pretty...

this was what was surrounding the hot springs
evelineeveline
eveline

i went to the springs with william, a local guy living in my place, and his kids. he has four and this is the youngest(4)...i want to bring her home with me.
william and elizabethwilliam and elizabeth
william and elizabeth

his older daughter, 9. she was super shy at first, but now we are best friends.
our driveour drive
our drive

the drive there through the mountains and back was stunning...clouds and fog.
farmsfarms
farms

and all through the mountains were farms...a very rich agricultural region.
living...living...
living...

it is usually foggy up there...i can´t imagine waking up everyday in it...beautiful and depressing.
zunilzunil
zunil

this is an agrigultural town built on the banks of a river, it is quite magical itself with deep rooted traditional ways of life and beliefs.
the plaza of zunilthe plaza of zunil
the plaza of zunil

the church is behind me, it is incredible...being inside makes you want to be spiritual...dark, colorful, and powerful with twisted depictions of christ. usually the churches in the small villages are pretty low-key because there is not much money available...but here you realize the power of agriculture in central america.



20th May 2005

I miss you so much! I love to be able to travel, through your pics. Thank you for being such a beautiful and interesting friend! Come home you travelin' gal.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb