El Valle de Anton
Background: With US backing, Panama seceded from Colombia in 1903 and promptly signed a treaty with the US allowing for the construction of a canal and US sovereignty over a strip of land on either side of the structure (the Panama Canal Zone). The Panama Canal was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1904 and 1914. On 7 September 1977, an agreement was signed for the complete transfer of the Canal from the US to Panama by the end of 1999. Certain portions of the Zone and increasing responsibility over the Canal were turned over in the intervening years. With US help, dictator Manuel NORIEGA was deposed in 1989. The entire Panama Canal, the area supporting the Canal, and remaining US military bases were turned over to Panama by or on 31 December 1999.
Photos from El Valle de Anton
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from El Valle de Anton
Latest Blogs from El Valle de Anton
- July 1st 2010 Going Hiking in the Dark
by Words: 1681 Photos: 51
- April 25th 2010 The Highlands of Panama and Bocas del Toro
by Words: 2273 Photos: 18
- December 1st 2009 Panama - boid hamas!
by Words: 1240 Photos: 8
- August 27th 2008 ¡Estoy aquí!
by Words: 155 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2008 The first days of volunteer work in Panama
by Words: 407 Photos: 2
- January 28th 2008 Muy trista a salir Panama
by Words: 635 Photos: 0
- January 26th 2008 We found it!!!
by Words: 144 Photos: 0
- January 26th 2008 Just Chillin'
by Words: 116 Photos: 0
- December 29th 2007 Celebrating the sun in Panama
by Words: 1275 Photos: 19
- October 7th 2007 so what happened in panama?
by Words: 641 Photos: 0
- June 7th 2007 This is what I needed
by Words: 218 Photos: 7
- February 25th 2007 Next Stop El Valle
by Words: 5 Photos: 1
- May 13th 2006 A change of air
by Words: 506 Photos: 4
- March 3rd 2005 A nice little mountain town!
by Words: 575 Photos: 4