Background: Once part of Spain's vast empire in the New World, Honduras became an independent nation in 1821. After two and a half decades of mostly military rule, a freely elected civilian government came to power in 1982. During the 1980s, Honduras proved a haven for anti-Sandinista contras fighting the Marxist Nicaraguan Government and an ally to Salvadoran Government forces fighting leftist guerrillas. The country was devastated by Hurricane Mitch in 1998, which killed about 5,600 people and caused approximately $2 billion in damage.
Photos from Copán Ruinas
Blogs from Copán Ruinas
Latest Blogs from Copán Ruinas
- October 3rd 2013 More Copan...
by Words: 565 Photos: 19
- August 8th 2013 Last Summer of Freedom
by Words: 632 Photos: 6
- July 5th 2013 Trouble at the border, reunited, and saying good-bye -- Oh, and the Copan Ruins!
by Words: 1670 Photos: 30
- April 30th 2013 Day 24: Ruining & Coffee-ing in Copan
by Words: 1236 Photos: 36
- April 29th 2013 Day 23: Travelling to Honduras
by Words: 1011 Photos: 17
- March 28th 2013 Mayan Temples!!
by Words: 1457 Photos: 14
- March 2nd 2013 Gangsters and Mayas….contrasts of Honduras
by Words: 1483 Photos: 35
- December 2nd 2012 Copan should not be missed!!
by Words: 1134 Photos: 56
- November 30th 2012 Finding Honduras! (El Boqueron, Finca Paraiso and Copan Ruinas!)
by Words: 1873 Photos: 76
- November 22nd 2012 Indulging my wanderlust
by Words: 1910 Photos: 55
- September 19th 2012 Honduras...
by Words: 107 Photos: 4
- July 20th 2012 Travelling The Ruta Lenca
by Words: 636 Photos: 28
- May 10th 2012 La Ceiba & Copan Ruinas
by Words: 992 Photos: 20
- March 11th 2012 Jungle Jive
by Words: 1227 Photos: 10
- February 24th 2012 Copan and Beyond.
by Words: 749 Photos: 16
- February 7th 2012 Honduras past few weeks
by Words: 1096 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2012 Winter Break Trip Part 1: Copán
by Words: 924 Photos: 8
- January 23rd 2012 Days 13-14 Copan Ruinas
by Words: 369 Photos: 22
- December 17th 2011 Finca El Cisne - A taste of Honduran rural life, with coffee on the side
by Words: 1254 Photos: 7
- December 12th 2011 Mayan Mysteries, Cowboys and Riding the river at Copan Ruinas
by Words: 1037 Photos: 7