Ruins and BBQing


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Waw, what a day! We certainly made the most of our one day in Copan with a morning exploring the ruins and an afternoon in the hot springs followed by a traditional BBQ in the rain forest this evening with our travelling family.

When we arrived two macaws flew over us and there were some nesting in the trees. The ruins were soooo interesting and our guide, Marvin the Marsian, was full of knowledge and funny jokes. We had three and a half hours exploring and learning about the Maya culture and what all of the structures were. Then we took a tuk tuk back to the hotel as it was sweltering and had some lunch.

Our ride to the hot springs was bumpy to say the least but so worth it. Sipping beers in naturally heated pools with waterfalls and getting to know our travel companions more - not your average Tuesday! Did we mention we were served guacamole and nachos in the pools? There was a selection of temperatures for the pools ranging from scalding hot to freezing cold. The day only got better when we had a BBQ prepared for us by the lovely local Hondurans which was the best meal we've had since arriving (even Annie the veggie was catered for!). Picture this: candle lit table in the middle of a rain forest, barbecue burning, rum flowing and Bob Marley playing. Excellent company, delicious food and perfect setting. Had we not done this trip with a tour group we would not have had this awesome experience. It felt like home with a load of the family's dogs around the table begging for food. Scott fed the skinniest one who wasn't brave enough to challenge the other dogs when food was thrown on the floor for them.

We leave for the Caribbean island of Roatan at 5:45 am tomorrow and it's another full day of travel so our blog tomorrow night won't be too exciting but we shall let you know we arrived safely.



Buenas noches!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb